cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

RLS Issues after Scheduled Refresh

I have some static RLS set on a report, one of the roles is called 'All' which has no criteria. This is for Admin/Management who need to see all data. Other roles are set with specific restrictions per team or customer.

 

When testing the roles within Desktop they work perfectly. I published the dataset to Service, gave required people Read permissions to the dataset/report, then assigned them a RLS role within Security.

 

The report presents data as it should, perfect, or so I thought.

 

I have this dataset on scheduled refresh and started getting complaints about data being missing. On checking the report with the 'All' role I have some reports were completely blank, with others seemingly showing correctly. 

 

If I republish from desktop, the RLS works perfectly again, until another scheduled refresh. I have removed the gateway link to the datasource (PowerPoint) and recreated it, same issue.

 

Pulling my hair out here, anything obvious that I've missed/done incorrectly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Ok, so it wasn't a RLS/Refresh issue after all, this is just when the problem presented itself.

 

My datasource has checkboxes, these show as true or false in my imported dataset but the data type was automatically decided as Text. When uploading to Service these True/False entries were changed to 0 or -1 meaning my slicers/filters didn't work.

 

Change the data type to True/False, published to Service and all now working ok.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

In addition to the original post I've found a strange accompanying issue which may suggest why I think RLS isn't working.

 

I have the same 2 slicers on each page, they only seem to work on 1 of the pages!?

Highlighted

Ok, so it wasn't a RLS/Refresh issue after all, this is just when the problem presented itself.

 

My datasource has checkboxes, these show as true or false in my imported dataset but the data type was automatically decided as Text. When uploading to Service these True/False entries were changed to 0 or -1 meaning my slicers/filters didn't work.

 

Change the data type to True/False, published to Service and all now working ok.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors