Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PetrusJKruger
Frequent Visitor

RLS Embedded Reports Created from a Specific Computer "Cannot Display the Visual"

Good day Community,

I'm experiencing a very strange set of occurances.

Up until about three weeks ago, reports that I created with RLS security filters worked fine. This changed quite suddenly when various users began to get a "Cannot display this visual" error message for all visuals in the reports. However, this is only the case for reports built on my PC. Reports built by two of my collegues display as normal.

I have, in fact, rebuilt one of the simpler reports in almost exactly the same way as my collegue and embedded them side by side - his works, mine doesn't.

Some assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Since posting this, I have also rebuilt my collegue's report on a virtual machine on one of our reporting services. Indeed, that reports works fine too. 

Kind regards,
Petrus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PetrusJKruger
Frequent Visitor

After much deliberation, I believe I have found the solution to my own problem.

It turns out that the embed token defined a role by a specific name i.e. "user".

When I began to apply RLS to other user attributes, I renamed the role within my pbix file i.e. "user_workplace".

My collegues, happened to just reuse the "user" role by default, and out of sheer luck and laziness, I did the same when I rebuilt the report on the VM.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PetrusJKruger
Frequent Visitor

After much deliberation, I believe I have found the solution to my own problem.

It turns out that the embed token defined a role by a specific name i.e. "user".

When I began to apply RLS to other user attributes, I renamed the role within my pbix file i.e. "user_workplace".

My collegues, happened to just reuse the "user" role by default, and out of sheer luck and laziness, I did the same when I rebuilt the report on the VM.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors