Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

urpalani
Helper II
Helper II

RLS Analyze in Excel

Hi,

I had RLS implemented and when the users see the data in Power BI Service they see only data on which they have access but when they download in Excel (i.e) Analze in Excel ,The RLS is not working and they are seeing all data,

Anybody having any idea ?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @urpalani,

How did you do it? I create a role, and apply RLS to my colleague, the RLS is also working in Analyze in Excel feature. Please review my following steps.

If you are the dataset owner and you add yourself under this role, you can run the report to check you can also see complete data in the dataset, as you are the dataset owner. So it's expected that after use Analyze in Excel feature to open the .odc file, you can also see complete data.

In your scenario, I can add a member who is not the dataset owner under role. And in My Workspace, I pin the report visual to a dashboard and share this dashboard with this member. When she open the shared dashbord, she only can see the data she has access. Then I get .odc file via Analyze in Excel, then share this file with this member. She will find the user cann't see complete data, just the date she has permission.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @urpalani,

How did you do it? I create a role, and apply RLS to my colleague, the RLS is also working in Analyze in Excel feature. Please review my following steps.

If you are the dataset owner and you add yourself under this role, you can run the report to check you can also see complete data in the dataset, as you are the dataset owner. So it's expected that after use Analyze in Excel feature to open the .odc file, you can also see complete data.

In your scenario, I can add a member who is not the dataset owner under role. And in My Workspace, I pin the report visual to a dashboard and share this dashboard with this member. When she open the shared dashbord, she only can see the data she has access. Then I get .odc file via Analyze in Excel, then share this file with this member. She will find the user cann't see complete data, just the date she has permission.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello , we are facing a similar issue. We have a report shared with about 50 users, the highest hierarchy are members so they can see all data, theam team leaders and team members are viewers and can only see their particular area, this works fine.

The analyzer is not available for viewers so we have tried to enable build for one of them and he now can get the analyze in excel funcionality, but he sees all the that. Is necessary any additional configuration to have the RLS applied also to Analyze in Excel?

Kind Regards @v-huizhn-msft 

Hi @urpalani,

Have you resolved your issue? If you have, please mark the helpful reply as answer.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors