Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PANDAmonium
Resolver III
Resolver III

REST API Permissions Error when Updating Dataflow

Hi All,

I'm getting this error when trying to update the dataflow name using the Power BI REST API: "You do not have permissions to manage this dataflow." I can't change the dataflow name in Power BI Service like a few others have mentioned over the past couple weeks so I'm trying it in the REST API. I added the service princpal as an admin; added Dataflow.ReadWrite.All API permissions in Azure;bverified the client id and secret; requested a new token; verified the group id and dataflow id; did a refresh on that dataflow via the REST API to futher verify the call, ids, and tokens were correct.

Any ideas on what I might be missing? And is updating the dataflow via the REST API working for you?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PANDAmonium 

The product group fixed the 'Try it' button for the Power BI REST API, which makes debugging easier to get started, please try it.

vcgaomsft_0-1661309809984.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Charline_74
Helper III
Helper III

@v-cgao-msft 

I have the same problem, I try to modify the name of a dataflow
The "Try it" on the Micorsoft dicumantation works and I can't do the same thing with a PowerShell script.

Do you have a solution?

PANDAmonium
Resolver III
Resolver III

It looks like I can update the refresh schedule which requires the same scope and uses PATCH. But changing the name or properties still doesn't work giving the same error. Maybe the dataflow renaming issue in Power BI Service is related.

So I guess that just leaves the question, is anyone else able to update the dataflow properties using the REST API? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/dataflows/update-dataflow

Hi @PANDAmonium 

The product group fixed the 'Try it' button for the Power BI REST API, which makes debugging easier to get started, please try it.

vcgaomsft_0-1661309809984.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

It's working now using the Try It feature in the Power BI Rest API docs and in Power BI Service. However when testing it in Postman, I'm still getting a "You do not have permissions to manage this dataflow" error. Tested updating the refresh schedule again which should require the same permissions and that works. 

Either way, I'm able to do what I need to now at least which is changing the dataflow name, so thank you!

Hi @PANDAmonium ,

Would you please share your steps, shell code and error messages? Please hide your private information such as {groupId} and {dataflowId}. thanks.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors