Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jesus21282
Frequent Visitor

REST API Cancel Refresh ViaApi - Operation failed - Canceling refresh operation is disabled

Hi folks!- I have a dataset refresh stuck for 4+ hours so far, where it usually takes ~10 mins to refresh.

I would like to cancel this refresh, but there is no option in the dataset options to cancel it, so it keeps going without finishing.

Scenario:

- Dataset sourced from MySQL multi-server round-robin proxy behind VPN / On-Premises Data Gateway in CLUSTER mode.

- Refreshes trigger via POWER AUTOMATE's Refresh a Power BI dataset action, every 20 mins. (`ViaApi` RefreshType).

I tried leveraging the Power BI REST API Cancel dataset refresh method: Datasets - Cancel Refresh - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs, but it gives me this error:

{
    "error": {
        "code": "MethodNotAllowed",
        "message": "Operation failed - Canceling refresh operation is disabled. Dataset ID 7db...xxx Refresh ID 410...xxx RefreshType is ViaApi."
    }
}

Any other methods you'd suggest me to try??

So far, I have tried:

- Doing local refresh, and then trying uploading to service, but the Publish won't finish.

- Tried the same, BUT bypassing the MySQL proxy by pointing the PBIX file against a specific MySQL server. Tried already with all servers individually. Still the Publish won't finish.

- Inspecting any stuck queries in the MySQL servers behind the proxy, no queries stuck there either.

Last, I am under the impression that this API method is disabled for RefreshType ViaApi, which calls my attention a lot. I think they should absolutely enable it!

Let me know your thoughts, thanks

EDIT:
Sorry, I meant we used Cancel Refresh in Group action instead. Datasets - Cancel Refresh In Group - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs.

Also, I managed to finally fix the issue, by stopping the Flow calls to refresh the dataset. This means, I turned off the Power Automate flow triggering the dataset refresh temporarily, and then,I was now able to upload my dataset from local again, effectively overriding the version online. Finally, I turned on my flow again and it's all running well back again.

3 REPLIES 3
nkuppili

we are facing exact same issue (used "cancel in group api") to cancel our enhanced dataset refresh which is taking more than 6 hours now. Were you able to figure out the issue on API errors? @m-colbert @jesus21282 

m-colbert
Resolver II
Resolver II

Is this dataset in your My Workspace or a shared workspace. If in a shared workspace, you need to use the Cancel a Dataset in a Group.

Other possible ways to kill are to kill the session/thread  on your backend, or restart/take offline the gateway its going through. 

Good point. The dataset is in a shared workspace, and I used Cancel Refresh in Group instead ( I will edit this in my first message ), but it failed with the error shown.

I also managed to finally fix the issue, by stopping the Flow calls to refresh the dataset. This means, I turned off the Power Automate flow triggering the dataset refresh temporarily, and then,I was now able to upload my dataset from local again, effectively overriding the version online. Finally, I turned on my flow again and it's all running well back again.

I further dig into your comment, and:

- I am not sure how to tell session/thread in my backend;

- Restarting the gateway is not easy for us, because we use a Gateway cluster of 5 On-Premises data gateways, and we don't know which one server in particular is taking this load. Any thoughts on this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors