Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

R script refresh with personal gateway - credential message

Hi,
I just downloaded and installed personal gateway. Tried to schedule refresh
My data source is R.
The only option Ive got is WindowsWithoutImpersonation - which I clicked on Sign In button and it gave me the following error message.

I can successfully refresh my dataset on desktop. Can you help? Thank you

Failed to update data source credentials: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.PowerBI.Scripting, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. Strong name validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A)'Hide details
Activity ID:9313b16c-78f0-4268-9f74-0905e78ab55a
Request ID:74961647-e14d-433c-c9c5-082010460226
Status code:400
Time:Sun Dec 30 2018 16:15:39 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)
Version:13.0.7683.237
Cluster URI:https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net
25 REPLIES 25
haniewais
Employee
Employee

We are having a similar issue on my team. 

When attempting to provide the R credentials on the powerBI site, the I get the same error as op. 

However, when I setup a personal gateway on my laptop that I use for work everyday, everything works fine!

I clicked the 'edit credentials' used the default only option of 'WindowsWithoutImpersonation' and set up an auto refresh and it all worked...  

I then tried to replicate this on another system to free up my laptop, but and I ended up with the same error as before. 

I can only get this working on my personal laptop. 

On all three systems, I'm running:

R 3.5.1

Personal Gateway 3000.0.265

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

I decided to revert back to September release and this works.

Hi @Anonymous,

How do you revert to September release?

Thank you,

Hey Pedzilla, 

Im glad to hear you got it working!

You rolled back to September release of R or PowerBI Personal Gateway?

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes I did 🙂

tqbao27
Regular Visitor

I think the problem might have to do with mash up data source. I got my data from Oracle database then transform it using R script. Then Power BI might be asking for the credential of my Oracle database while I'm supplying it with R credential. I remember there used to be more option for authentication method. Not sure why there is only one option now. @v-shex-msft

I got no other data source in my test file, it pulls data from R script only. I doubt if it’s the mash up process for me?
tqbao27
Regular Visitor

I haven't found any work around yet @Anonymous

Is there any way that I could download the old version of personal gateway @v-shex-msft

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is your region? @tqbao27

I am UK based - so North Europe.

I'm in the US so I guess North America.

For this issue, I remember there used to be more options for the Authentication method, not just WindowsWithoutImpersonation.

Yeah thats true! Now there are no other options.

@v-shex-msft what is your region please?

@tqbao27 so you are in a different region to me so maybe region has nothing to do with that. 

I wonder what version of personal gateway that @v-shex-msft has installed? Maybe its not December release.

Hi @Pedzilla1,

I try to install last version of personal gateway and test with r script(3.5.1), but they all works. Maybe you can open a support ticket for better support.

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @v-shex-msft may i ask what your region is please?

Hi @Anonymous,

My data are stored on 'west central US'.(you can find it on click on power bi service-> about)

11.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you please share a pbix file with some simple data and r script who can reproduce that scenario?

I will test on my side and report to power bi team if I can reproduce this issue.

BTW, I can use personal gateway to refresh r script sample file.

5.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible you can share your pbix file so i can try it here please? @v-shex-msft 

Also what is the version of your gateway?

I wont be able to share my file due to network / firewall.

However its a generic dataset  - here is the M code - hope you can help.

let
    Source = R.Execute("cars = data(mtcars)#(lf)mtcars$date = Sys.time()"),
    mtcars1 = Source{[Name="mtcars"]}[Value],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(mtcars1,{{"date", type time}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Thank you so much

HI @Anonymous,

I test with my sample and your code, they all works well.

I think this issue may relate to data region service of power bi, maybe you can try to use fiddler to trace these httprequests of refresh operation.

9.png

BTW, I also attached sample files which I tested at below.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there I am based in the UK. Can I actually change the region on my personal gateway?

@v-shex-msft

I will try your sample now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your sample doesnt work when I tried on my personal gateway. I dont suppose we can change that can we?

@v-shex-msft

Can you please give me your r script sample file and I will run in on my personal gateway.

My sample isn’t meaningful as it’s jusf a prof of concept that it can work on the gateway

Much appreciated many thanks @v-shex-msft

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors