Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

R script package tigris: cannot load shapefiles

I am using R script to make a choropleth map visualization. The actual data is confidential, so I cannot show the entire code, but the error comes when I load the shapefiles using 'tigris' package. Power BI Desktop does execute the entire code and makes a beautiful map, but when I publish it to Web, it gives me an error message saying "Error: Download failed; check your internet connection or the status of the Census Bureau website at http://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/."

All the packages I used in the code are supported by Power BI. Could I get help on how to solve this issue?

Here is my code:

df_state <- dataset

library(dplyr)
library(tidyr)
library(tidyverse)
library(sf)
library(tmap)

# Downloading a shape file via tigris package
library(tigris) #For downloading the zipcode map
library(curl)
library(httr)
options(tigris_use_cache = TRUE)
geo <- st_as_sf(zctas(cb = TRUE, starts_with = df_state$ZCTA)) 
co <- st_as_sf(counties("California", cb = TRUE)) 
co = st_transform(co , st_crs(geo))

#Merging data & map
df_state.sf = merge(geo, df_state) 

tmap_mode("plot")
tm_shape(co) + tm_borders()

2 REPLIES 2
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Has your problem been solved? If the problem has been solved you can mark the reply for the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly. If not, please point it out. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

This problem can arise when Census blocks connections to its website intermittently. 

Refer this document , you, or your administrator, may need to update your firewall to allow access to the URLs Bing uses for geocoding. Those URLs are:

vtangjiemsft_0-1669950945012.png

You can also refer to the following documentation to try other ways to make a choropleth map visualization :

R Error downloading shapefiles using Tigris · Issue #72 · walkerke/tigris · GitHub

Choropleth map with R – the R Graph Gallery (r-graph-gallery.com)

How to create geographic maps in Power BI using R (sqlshack.com)

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors