Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

R script do run on Power BI Service

Hello PBI Experts, MVPs,@deldersveld

I have a query related to R integration in Power BI. Need immediate help!!

I have created a dashboard on Power BI. There is a live direct query connection build between PBI and SQL Azure database.

I have written R script in my dashboard, which do some calculation and save the output on the SQL Azure database. This output then used as input in the PBI using direct query mode. I have created RODBC connectin in my local machine.

The script runs perfectly fine on the PBI desktop however when I publish this dashboard on Power BI service and run the dashboard, R script do not run and throw errors "ODBC connection failed". Is that mean that I need to create ODBC connection on SQL Server? If yes then how to do that. Please respond with suggestion to solve this issue.

thanks,

Naveen

9 REPLIES 9
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi naveen_koushal,

Have you installed and configured data gateway on your server? Also check if you have configure the data source in "Manage Gateway" in power bi service.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the support!

Could you please more elaborate why do we require data gateway?. My data is already connected with azure sql database. And the error that comes is related to 'ODBC connection failed'.

Appreciate if you elaborate the possible solution.

Regards,

Naveen

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuta-msft 

Hi Jimmy,

Is there any work around for this that is passing slicer values as parameters into SQL query avoiding using RODBC? I am currently facing the same issue where I need to pass values from a few different slicers e.g. group by factors, filter factors and filter values. These are must-have functionality for my deliverables and they work perfectly in powerBI desktop when using RODBC but not working at all while publishing it to powerBI service.

Any comments or work arounds are appreciated.

Best regards,

Kevin Zheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuta-msft,

Thanks for your reply. There is no solution out there in the thread you shared.

Please suggest if you have some solution.

REgards,

Naveen

Hi Naveen,

Were you able to solve this? We are in the same boat as you and trying to figure out the solution. If you solved it can you please share it with us.

Thanks,

Renuka

I don't believe you'll be able to setup and use an ODBC connection in Power BI Service. 

The gateway is required in general for an R script in Power Query, but it sounds like you have this RODBC connection setup on an R Visual. That wouldn't need a gateway, but again, I don't believe you'll be able to configure ODBC since you don't have access to configure anything in the Service.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Delsdersveld. I thinkg I should test running the dashboard after installing Gateway. I will get back to you with my findings.

Regards,

Naveen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Delsdersveld,

When I go to gateway connection tab it says " You don't need gateway for this dataset, because all of its data sources is in the cloud".

What do you suggest? Do I still download gateway? I am not sure if it work.

Regards,

Naveen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors