Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

R script data source - sharepoint - schedule refresh

Hello,

I am using a R script as a data source, and in my R script, I import an excel file which is located in a sharepoint, and after I do some data management, so the easiest solution for me was to do this data management in R and import the correct data afterwards.

I am now confused about the schedule of the refresh data in this specific case:

- some people say it is not yet available

- some others say that the only way is via a personal gateway.

So which solution is the correct one? and if it is not (or not yet) possible, what are the alternative solutions to get this refresh schedule while having a R script as a source?

Thanks,

Mélissa

personal gateway

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

That's true.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Enable scheduled refresh for the dataset - to enable scheduled refresh for the workbook that contains your dataset with R scripts, see Configuring scheduled refresh, which also includes information about Personal Gateway.

Install the Personal Gateway - you need a Personal Gateway installed on the machine where the file is located, and where R is installed; the Power BI service must access that workbook and re-render any updated visuals. You can get more information on how to install and configure Personal Gateway.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-frfei-msft,

Thanks for your answer,

I think i understood that i need a personal gateway, but I want to have a precision:

my workbook that contains my dataset within my R script is located into a onedrive/sharepoint and therefore not on my personal machine, does it make a difference, or do I still need a personal gateway?

I guess because of the source is a R script i need a personal gateway (R is installed on my machine) ?

Thanks for your insights,

Regards,

Mélissa

Hi @Anonymous,

In you scenario, the gateway is not required.

Regards,

Frank

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your prompt answer,

May I ask for precisions:

- for a R script as source of data, there is a need of a personal gateway where the excel file that is read and manipulated is locally in my machine ?

and so in my case, because the excel file is located in a sharepoint I do not need one and I can use the same process to schedule data refresh as if I was using a csv or excel file in a sharepoint source, am I right?

Sorry, my question can sound very picky, but since I will have to do it plenty of times, I need to understand exactly what I need to do.

Thanks and regards,

Mélissa

Hi @Anonymous,

That's true.

Regards,

Frank

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-frfei-msft!

Regards,

Mélissa

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors