Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lbar
Frequent Visitor

R Script in Power Query asks to install personal Gateway if published report is refreshed

We have a report wich loads data from Azure Cosmos Document DB. Inside Power Query we use an R script to process the mentioned data. All works fine on Desktop Version, also the data refresh.

Now the problem is that when published the report, data refreshment isn't possible. Power BI service asks to install a personal Gateway, although there is no need to upload any data from a personal source.

If we delete the R script for testing, the refresh is working fine, and we can set a refresh shedule.

What's the problem?

Thanks in advance for your apreciated help.

Asking for personal gateway.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lbar,

Power BI service requires on-premise data gateway (personal mode) to access R for data to updated, as R is on-premise. You need to install on-premise data gateway (personal mode) where the R runs. For more information, see: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/powerbi-desktop-r-in-query-editor/

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello

Thanks for your hint.

For me it's no solution, because the whole data comes from the cloud only (azure document db). So an R script running on that data inside Power Query should not require any local access!

Shouldn't it?

Best Regards,

lbar

Hi @lbar,

It's indeed need personal gateway. You can go to Data Source Settings in Power BI desktop, you will find a R data source, which is on-premise. After publish the report to service, the personal gateway needs to be installed on the same machine hosts R to make the Power BI service access the R. 

q5.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Qiuyun

Thank's for your answer. I understand this all.

But I'am not happy at all with this solution. It diminishes the value of R to use with PBI.

Data from cloud should fully be processed inside PBI service, without the need of an on-premise gateway, also if there is an R script involved, which processes only that data. This means that the R engine should run on PBI service.

My whisch is, that Microsoft does expand the R integration to this use case.

Best regards,

lbar 

Hi @lbar,

It's true that the cloud data adoesn't require any gateway. But as long as the report contains on-premise data source, gateway is required. Unfortunately, R data source is on-premise now, and doesn't have cloud version. So I have to say we need to install gateway for this kind of report to be refreshed in Power BI service now. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Thanks, Qiuyun

lbar

Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors