Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rjhale
Helper IV
Helper IV

R Script Visualization Interactions in BI Service

I just started working with R Script in the Power BI stack. I've created some test projects in the Power BI desktop, and I've published some of them to the BI service.  For example, I have some data plotted on a world map and a bar chart with just a count of the values by country.  

In Power BI desktop the filters and cross-filtering work as expected (i.e. if I click on China in the bar chart the map is filtered accordingly).  When I publish this file to the BI service and try the same interactions in the web browser, nothing happens.  The same is true if I just try to use the report filters.  

Are R Script Visuals not yet supported in the BI service?  I understand that this is still in preview mode.  I'm just interested in knowing if I'm doing something incorrectly.  

3 REPLIES 3
TealCanady
Advocate II
Advocate II

rjhale,

My understanding is that R is not currently supported online; only in desktop mode. However; you may be able to work around this by using one drive as your data source. Put your PBI desktop in one drive; on a system with R installed and then Get Data-> Files -> One Drive. I havn't tried it but it may be worth a shot.

Teal Canady

Not a bad idea. I put the pbix file up in my OneDrive space, and connected to it through the service.  Unfortunately the filters and interactions still do not work.  

Thanks for the suggestion though. 

Sorry it didn't work; i'm hoping when it gets out of Preview that R will be available online. It would be nice to have 2016 SSRS reports; forcasting in R and PBI reports working in the same space. The other way MS might go is to bring in azure ML as the integration online for forecasting and R is only local. Should be an interesting year.

Teal

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors