Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sartoris
Frequent Visitor

R Script Runtime Error

I created a pbix using the VennDiagram R Visual. I installed MS R Open v3.4.4 locally. I am using the VennDiagram R package v1.6.20. The diagram displays fine on my desktop. I published it to app.powerbi.com and all other visuals display correct but the Venn diagram. The dataset has less than 5000 records. I get this error:

Script Runtime Error
An error occurred while running the script
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID: 155f5684-ceb5-4a62-9644-1094a60367d2
Request ID: 3a68f729-afd8-e73f-f828-127a447a4aad
Correlation ID: 37987b20-4b97-1e92-ff40-dc47809e228f
Time: Wed Jun 10 2020 11:50:38 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time)
Service version: 13.0.13524.230
Client version: 2006.1.01422-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

Here is the R script:

library(VennDiagram)
listdataset <- lapply(dataset, function(x) { x } )
listcolor <- c("red", "yellow", "green", "blue", "gray")
listcolor <- head(listcolor, ncol(dataset))
venndiagram <- venn.diagram(listdataset, filename=NULL, na="remove", fill = listcolor, margin=0.1)
grid.draw(venndiagram)

This is me contacting support. If there is a better way to contact support, please let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I did submit a ticket with Microsoft support and they got back to me more quickly than I had thought - a pleasant surprise! They also admitted:

'The issue was due to a bug from Power BI.
The fix for the bug was deployed yesterday. Hence, you are able to successfully view the visuals today.'

That, too, was a pleasant surprise. Kudos to Microsoft support.  

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@sartoris 

For this kind of unknown error that we cannot reproduce, create a support ticket is recommended.

BTW, R scripts are supported only for personal gateway mode. Create advanced analytics and visualizations using R scripts in Power BI

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-pazhen-msft can you please point to where in the documentation it says that only personal gateway mode is supported?

@lbendlin 

Sroll down to see the very last FAQ: 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-personal-mode

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That link doesn't spell out that it is only in personal mode. This link does

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/power-bi-data-sources

Bummer.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

According to this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-r-packages-support

it's a supported package. Has it worked before?  I am asking because we have seen similar errors recently in our tenant, also with supported packages that previously worked. 

You're not using a personal gateway, right?

I am not using a personal gateway. Nor am I using R as a datasource. I am using the script to provide visualization of an existing dataset.

Hmmm. I was having the same error when I used Python yesterday. But today, I see my visuals. It seems something might have changed on the server side over night.

Apparently, the relevant part of the error message was 'Please try again later'. See how that goes over with the managers who are asking for this report...

I did submit a ticket with Microsoft support and they got back to me more quickly than I had thought - a pleasant surprise! They also admitted:

'The issue was due to a bug from Power BI.
The fix for the bug was deployed yesterday. Hence, you are able to successfully view the visuals today.'

That, too, was a pleasant surprise. Kudos to Microsoft support.  

I created a pbix using the VennDiagram R Visual. I installed MS R Open v3.4.4 locally. I am using the VennDiagram R package v1.6.20. The diagram displays fine on my desktop. I published it to app.powerbi.com and all other visuals display correct but the Venn diagram. The dataset has less than 5000 records. I get this error:

Script Runtime Error
An error occurred while running the script
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID: 155f5684-ceb5-4a62-9644-1094a60367d2
Request ID: 3a68f729-afd8-e73f-f828-127a447a4aad
Correlation ID: 37987b20-4b97-1e92-ff40-dc47809e228f
Time: Wed Jun 10 2020 11:50:38 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time)
Service version: 13.0.13524.230
Client version: 2006.1.01422-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

Here is the R script:

library(VennDiagram)
listdataset <- lapply(dataset, function(x) { x } )
listcolor <- c("red", "yellow", "green", "blue", "gray")
listcolor <- head(listcolor, ncol(dataset))
venndiagram <- venn.diagram(listdataset, filename=NULL, na="remove", fill = listcolor, margin=0.1)
grid.draw(venndiagram)

This is me contacting support. If there is a better way to contact support, please let me know.

Hi @sartoris ,

I have tested your code. It works fine in my site. Please download my sample to have a try to check if it works in your site as well.

The version of Desktop I used: 2.82.5858.641 

The browser I used:  MS Edge. (If what you used is not a latest version, please update it. Reference: Supported browsers for Power BI )

1.PNG

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Doesn't matter where you want to run your R script, be it in Power Query or in the visual.  They still need to access the "local" R libraries and engine. "local" in this case meaning the gateway or the service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors