Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lizzy
Helper I
Helper I

R Script Refreshing

I have a working report in Power BI Desktop that I would like to share with colleagues using the Power BI service.

For one of the data tables, some of the transformations are done with an R Script that I typed in. It is not attached to a specific .R file on my machine. When I attempt to refresh the report on the service, I get an error related to gateways. I've read some other forum posts on the subject, and want to check my understanding.

I developed the report on my personal machine which is not always on, and should not be called on whenever the data refreshes. So, do I need to install R on a separate server machine, and install the personal gateway to that machine? This seems very convoluted for R being supposedly "integrated" into Power BI, especially when the service is supposed to be entirely cloud hosted. Is there any way to avoid using a gateway while using an R script?

3 REPLIES 3
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lizzy ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Team,

I would also like to see a standard R version built into the service (i.e. Microsoft R) so that users can build on a standard R code base, and then refresh in the service with no need for a gateway.

I know it limits the R versioning and libraries, but at least we could build to the standard R version and know it is supported.

Jim

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lizzy ,

Based on this documentTo enable scheduled refresh of your R visuals or dataset, you need to enable Scheduled refresh and have a Personal Gateway installed on the computer containing the workbook and R. For more information on both, see the previous section in this article, which provides links to learn more about each.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors