Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mankney
Regular Visitor

Quick On Premise Install question

HI, we are installing the On Premise Gateway for the first time. I am not sure what to put in for the email address upon installation. A BI person signed up for the Power BI and he is administrating users and such now for BI access in the cloud but I would rather put in a more generic account during installation as opposed to his personal email account. Does it require his email since he is the one that signed up for the cloud service? What can I use for that installation email address?

Could someone clarify it for me?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Mankney I'm totally going to get hammered here because I can't find my source... I "think" it doesn't matter. After the gateway is set up it doesn't matter if the user who initially set it up is active or not. They are the default gateway administrator, but they can add other admins as well...

There is nothing wrong with setting up a dedicated account as the sole gateway admin (this avoids any issues with single user access), but it would require that account to have a Pro license.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@Mankney I'm totally going to get hammered here because I can't find my source... I "think" it doesn't matter. After the gateway is set up it doesn't matter if the user who initially set it up is active or not. They are the default gateway administrator, but they can add other admins as well...

There is nothing wrong with setting up a dedicated account as the sole gateway admin (this avoids any issues with single user access), but it would require that account to have a Pro license.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

You can use any account that has a Pro license attached to it for the On-Premises Data Gateway sign in. The gateway will then list that account as the initial admin for the gateway. You can alter the admin list after the fact and add/remove users from that list.

You do not have to use an actual Admin account to setup a gateway.

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors