Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI-ELM
Helper I
Helper I

Questoin about Report vs Dashboard auto refresh

Hello,

I have built a report (Direct Query) in a PPU workspace and I can see it refesh every few seconds.

The Dashboards seem to be limited to an auto refresh rate of every 15 minutes and no faster.  I also have tested a streaming push dataset and that seems to update the dashboard in near real time.

The streaming push dataset also does not seem to refresh the base report in real time like it does the dashboard.   The report does auto refresh every few seconds, according to the stats on the screen, but the data does not change very often.

(My application is plotting factory probe sensors across time so they want up to date reports)

Questions:

1) Are my observatons correct?

2) Why would they build the dashboard so it only updates every 15 minutes?  I suppose my use case is distinct so maybe I need to use the push dataset there.

3) Why does the report based on a push data set not seem to refresh in near real time?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerBI-ELM ,

Yes, refreshing in Power BI can be delayed for various reasons, and you can refer to the best practices  for refreshing in Power BI mentioned in this article.

As for your last question, in my tests it was almost real time. You can try other browsers and clear your browser's cache and history if possible. Also autorefresh is only supported on the dashboard. Until then you must pin to dashboard to autorefresh. Finally please test manual refresh every 15 seconds to make sure this is not a network issue.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerBI-ELM ,

Yes, refreshing in Power BI can be delayed for various reasons, and you can refer to the best practices  for refreshing in Power BI mentioned in this article.

As for your last question, in my tests it was almost real time. You can try other browsers and clear your browser's cache and history if possible. Also autorefresh is only supported on the dashboard. Until then you must pin to dashboard to autorefresh. Finally please test manual refresh every 15 seconds to make sure this is not a network issue.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I have written a little C# program which pushes data to a a streaming push dataset on Power BI Service.  I have a report with a couple of simple visuals (nothing fancy) which are in turn pinned to a dashboard.

About half the time I open the dashboard the Dashboard updates every few seconds.  But half the time it does not update at all and is laggy even if I push the refresh button.

Why is it inconsistent?  I know the data pusher is running as I can refresh the base report and see the new data points come in.

What is it that I am missing?

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors