Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chrisrdba
Frequent Visitor

Questions on moving SSRS reports to Power BI Service.

Greetings. I've done some googling on the topic of moving SSRS reports to Power BI Service and want to clarify a few things:

1. Premium is needed, Pro won't cut it?
  2. According to this acrticle, I should be able just to download an .rdl file from SSRS, then upload right to Power BI Service?
  3. The article doesn't account for Data Sources, Subscripions, etc. but I'm assuming I can recreate those and hook my reports in to them?
  4. In Power BI Report Builder I don't have all the options shown at the top for eidting a Workspace -- is that because I don't have Premium?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

You will have to open the RDL file, run it and see if it works in Power BI Report Builder.

If it does you can then upload it to your Power BI Premium App Workspace and test.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Here are the answers below

1. Yes currently you need Power BI Premium
2. You will have to create the report using Power BI Report Builder and then upload that new RDL.
3. Not all data sources are supported currently in paginated reports. As well as data driven subscriptions are not working, but normal scheduled subscriptions are.
4. Power BI Report builder is the authoring tool and does not have workspace options?

Power BI Blog

2) So one cannot take an .rdl from SSRS and upload it? The .rdl MUST be created in Power BI Report Builder?

4) No, I seem to be missing a lot. FYI this is the first time I've ever even opened these tools, so I could be missing something glaring. 

Thanks!

Capture.PNG

About 2 - while not required, its preferred

About 4 - Inside Power BI Report Builder, click File / Save As and then Save to Power BI Service.

For moving on-prem reports to Service, you may want check out the migration tool @ https://github.com/microsoft/RdlMigration.

Hi there

You will have to open the RDL file, run it and see if it works in Power BI Report Builder.

If it does you can then upload it to your Power BI Premium App Workspace and test.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors