Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AgoZ_KH
Resolver I
Resolver I

Questions about RLS feature in power BI

Hi everyone!
despite having studied the ways in which RLS can be implemented in power BI, I not well understood how RLS is managed when the report is published.
My questions and doubts in this regard are as follows:
a) Is it necessary to have a powerBI PRO license to publish a Report with RLS?
b) The pubblished report is show and shared only in powerBI Service? There are others possibility of pubblish and sharing it?
c) Can users who are part of the organization but do not have PRO licenses access the Report?
d) Can a report implemented with RLS be published and accessed via URL?
I would be grateful if someone showed me how to go deeper and get answers to the aspects indicated.

Thanks in advance

Ago

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AgoZ_KH , @Greg_Deckler ,

I want to correct Greg for the first question and add some details for others.

If you are free user, you only could publish the report with RLS to My workspace. You still can set security in dataset. It is not necessary to have a pro license. However, if you have one, you could publish it to a new app workspace. And then you could not only share the report link directly to others or add them into your workspace but also share by an APP.

2.PNG

b) The published report is show and shared only in powerBI Service? There are others possibility of publish and sharing it?

For now, we need to publish it to Power BI Service firstly. And then share it with different ways. As the 1st answer above suggests, share directly and share apps. You could embed the report into sharepoint or your own website as well. Reference: How to embed Power BI reports into portals .

Ways to collaborate and share in Power BI 

c) Can users who are part of the organization but do not have PRO licenses access the Report?

To view the shared report, users need either a Power BI Pro license or the content needs to be within Premium capacity.

What is Power BI Premium? 

You could publish to workspace or app. It is not supported to publist to web. The users with pro license can view the content by the shared links. If they don't have access (you don't add them into Security), they will view errors for the entire report.

Note: If you have configured the workspace so that members have edit permissions, the RLS roles will not be applied to them. Users will be able to see all of the data.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls#using-rls-with-workspaces-in-power...

For classic workspace, you could set "members can only view Power BI content".

For new app workspace, you could assign a viewer role.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-...

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AgoZ_KH , @Greg_Deckler ,

I want to correct Greg for the first question and add some details for others.

If you are free user, you only could publish the report with RLS to My workspace. You still can set security in dataset. It is not necessary to have a pro license. However, if you have one, you could publish it to a new app workspace. And then you could not only share the report link directly to others or add them into your workspace but also share by an APP.

2.PNG

b) The published report is show and shared only in powerBI Service? There are others possibility of publish and sharing it?

For now, we need to publish it to Power BI Service firstly. And then share it with different ways. As the 1st answer above suggests, share directly and share apps. You could embed the report into sharepoint or your own website as well. Reference: How to embed Power BI reports into portals .

Ways to collaborate and share in Power BI 

To view the shared report, users need either a Power BI Pro license or the content needs to be within Premium capacity.

What is Power BI Premium? 

You could publish to workspace or app. It is not supported to publist to web. The users with pro license can view the content by the shared links. If they don't have access (you don't add them into Security), they will view errors for the entire report.

Note: If you have configured the workspace so that members have edit permissions, the RLS roles will not be applied to them. Users will be able to see all of the data.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls#using-rls-with-workspaces-in-power...

For classic workspace, you could set "members can only view Power BI content".

For new app workspace, you could assign a viewer role.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-...

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xuding-msft  

I have some other questions about RLS feature to ask you! 

Suppose I have configured a Report with RLS security setted. Suppose, also, I have a Premium capacity access for pubblish there my RLS report. My goal is to share the report only to those have role permissions granted to the report. All this users aren't PRO users.

What is the better way to reach the goal? 

Like you suggest to me one of the best way (that I never had explored for now) is to create a new app workspace and pubblish the Report in that space. My dubt is how users can access the report?? They access the report using power BI web client and pointing to the app workspace I have created? Or can I ebbed the report into a Iframe using sharepoint pointing to the Report Premium Link??

I appreciate any suggestion about the better way to reach my goal in practical way!

Thank in advance for you reply

Ago

Hi @v-xuding-msft !

thanks first for detailed reply!

I think to be now more confident about the conditions to respect for run and pubblish pBI reports under RLS.

So I mark your replay as a solution of my question!

Best Regards

Ago

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@AgoZ_KH 

a: Yes

b: Not preserving RLS

c: No

d: Yes but not Publish to Web

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Never ask if you don't like the answers!! 😀

Thanks Greg for shooting the answers so quickly!!

Ago

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors