Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on refreshing data sourced from web

I'm quite new to PowerBI and hope to get some advice.

Let say I get the historical stock data from Yahoo Finance and loaded into PowerBI dekstop to perform some visualization and calculation. What should I do in order to refresh the stock data daily (automatically) since every day there will be a new data at Yahoo Finance as long as the market is opened? 

Hope to get some help and advice, thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on your description, you can configure a scheduled refresh. Please refer to the following document.

Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Which connecting mode did you use? You can also try to use automatic page refresh if your models have at least one “Direct Query” data source. Please refer to the following link.

Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Best Regards,

Yuna

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
vomi0401

The issue is related to the link refreshing the same date.  Take for example this yahoo finance link.

https://query1.finance.yahoo.com/v7/finance/download/ES=F?period1=1463702400&period2=1621468800&interval=1d&events=history&includeAdjustedClose=true

When hitting refresh, the period2 date (1621468800) will remain the same, which means the data will only be current up to the date the link was pulled.  The question is, how to get this date to update in the link.

Hi, did you ever manage to get this working? I'm trying to do the same thing. I used data from another website to get the current epoch time and used that as a parameter in the URL to get the up to date data. It works fine in Power BI Desktop but I can't refresh the data in Power BI Service unfortunately.

v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on your description, you can configure a scheduled refresh. Please refer to the following document.

Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Which connecting mode did you use? You can also try to use automatic page refresh if your models have at least one “Direct Query” data source. Please refer to the following link.

Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Best Regards,

Yuna

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors