Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Question about PBI future vs SSAS?

Some of the MSFT blog posts have talked about or suggested that PowerBI would replace SSAS Tabular.  Is there any clear guidance on that?

Does that mean SSAS would go away and be replaced with PBI Premium or something similar?

Post making this reference:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/large-models-in-power-bi-premium-public-preview/

The large models feature brings Power BI dataset cache sizes to parity with Azure Analysis Services model sizes. However, Power BI is the next generation of Analysis Services. Customers can take advantage of Power BI features such as incremental refresh, aggregations, and shared and certified datasets to take Power BI beyond Analysis Services in terms of simplified-management experience, scalability and discoverability. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I do think there is some confusion with this.

Certainly SSAS Tabular is NOT going away. It is what runs Power BI and Power BI Premium.

What they mean is that other features such as aggregations, incremental refreshing etc will only be available as part of Power BI Premium.

If you just want SSAS Tabular or AAS then that will be around for a long time yet.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I do think there is some confusion with this.

Certainly SSAS Tabular is NOT going away. It is what runs Power BI and Power BI Premium.

What they mean is that other features such as aggregations, incremental refreshing etc will only be available as part of Power BI Premium.

If you just want SSAS Tabular or AAS then that will be around for a long time yet.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors