Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ryans
Helper I
Helper I

Question about New Publish to Web feature

Hey All,

I have a question about the new Publish to Web feature which creates an embed code in order to share your report.

The warning that comes up talks about how once you create an embed code anyone on the inernet can view the report. What I am wondering is if I do not share my embed code with anyone outside my organization is there any risk that someone is going to somehow just stumlbe upon or discover my embed code and be able to review the report? The only way I see that happening is if someone inside my organization shares the embed code.

Ideally, I would like to use PowerBI in conjunction with Sway to create presentations with interactive reports.

9 REPLIES 9

Yes, someone "could" discover the URL - it is not secured.  However if you look at the URL string, you will see that it is very large.  Here is one I posted today for my blog on this same topic

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiNWI3Mzc4YTMtMTliMi00ZDQzLTgzMTQtMDA5NTJlZWQ1NDYwIiwidCI6IjYwZ...

So I would say there is zero chance of anyone guessing the URL.  What is not clear is if the content and/or report title is searchable - that would be something that the developer team would need to answer.  My guess is that the content is not searchable.  And of course you run the risk of someone accidentally sharing the URL, then it is open season if it is confidential data.

My guess (as I mentioned in my blog post) is that the private sharing feature is not too far off.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks Matt. I had the same mindset for it but I wanted to confirm. I was really hoping this would be the solution for sharing these reports easier within my organization but I am afraid that higher ups would not be comfortable knowing that the information could potentially be stumbled upon by someone in the public. I hope they get a private sharing feature live soon!

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@ryans, is there any reason you can't utilize the original sharing and organizational content pack features in Power BI to share within your organization?

Not all of the users of the reports are on Office 365 yet. We also have individuals that should be able to access the report but are not the most technology savy and having a link they could just click to see reports would be ideal.

it is not possible to publish a single title instead of a full report? So an url which can be embedded which contains only 1 tile.

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You can embed tiles with the Power BI API.

The OP said he wanted to share outside of the organisation.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

@MattAllington, OP is asking whether anyone outside the organization can stumble upon the URL if he doesn't share outside of the organization. Sounds like internal use to me.

Sorry, you are right @greggyb  My bad!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors