Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rishirajdeb
Advocate I
Advocate I

Query Parameter Refresh Issue

Hello All,

I think the issue we are facing is similar to the below topic:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Query-parameters-displayed-value-doesn-t-refresh-in-Power-B... 

As per the community support, ticket# CRI 92912840 was raised at that time to address the issue (though there has not been any update on that since then).

The issue is that, we are passing query parameters to our data source to get the filtered data, and also showing the parameter value on the report. From the parameter property, loading is enabled, as well as the parameter is included for the report refresh.

Annotation 2020-02-26 175202.jpg

The parameter is working fine, and while refreshed on the Power BI desktop - the parameter value is also getting refreshed on the report. But after publishing the report while changing the parameter value on the service, after refreshing the dataset (as well as refreshing the report itself to eliminate any cache related problem) - on the report the parameter value is not getting updated (data is fine and getting filtered as expected).

Annotation 2020-02-26 175649.jpg

Please can someone give an update on this? Is there any workaround available apart from downloading the pbix file, refreshing and republishing?

Thanks & Regards,

Rishiraj

@v-lili6-msft 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rishirajdeb
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello All,

We raised a formal ticket with Microsoft for this and they confirmed this to be a limitation. The solution is to either assign premium capacity to the workspace or enable the 'Enhanced Metadata Model' (a preview feature) on the pbix file.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-enhanced-dataset-metadata

After upgrading the dataset to the enhanced metadata model, the parameter value on power bi service starts getting refreshed as expected.

Regards,

Rishiraj

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
rishirajdeb
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello All,

We raised a formal ticket with Microsoft for this and they confirmed this to be a limitation. The solution is to either assign premium capacity to the workspace or enable the 'Enhanced Metadata Model' (a preview feature) on the pbix file.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-enhanced-dataset-metadata

After upgrading the dataset to the enhanced metadata model, the parameter value on power bi service starts getting refreshed as expected.

Regards,

Rishiraj

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rishirajdeb ,

If that can't help you, please share more details to us, like data source and the steps that you did. I also do the test for it. If it will work, I'll update here.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Xue Ding,

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately waiting for at least 30 minutes after changing parameter value and then refreshing the dataset and report did not work.

As mentioned earlier, the report data getting successfully refreshed with the new parameter value, however I am also showing the parameter value itself on the report - which is not getting updated.

Let me try to give an example -

Scenario

I am passing quarters as parameters (20194 is for 4th quarter of 2019, 20201 is for 1st quarter of 2020 and so on) to filter data from the source. The parameter value is also displayed on the report to make users understand which quarter the report is for.

Outcome on Power BI desktop

While changing parameter value (from 20194 to 20201) and refreshing on desktop, everything works as expected - data is updated for 20201 as well as the period (the parameter value itself) is showing on the report as 20201.

Issue on Service

The report gets refreshed on the service using an enterprise gateway - and there is no problem with the refresh. However, while changing the parameter on service (same example - from 20194 to 20201), after applying the change and waiting for 30 minutes as suggested - when I refresh the report, the report data is getting successfully updated as per the new parameter value (20201) but the period field is still showing the old parameter value (20194).

The only workaround at the moment is to download the pbix file, refreshing and republishing which is not suitable for the end users.

Our data source is a SAP BW system.

It seems to be a bug for the Power BI service.

Looking forward for your help on this!

Regards,

Rishiraj

@v-xuding-msft@GilbertQ @nickyvv @Greg_Deckler 

Hi @rishirajdeb ,

The parameter value didn't change in my sample either. I'll submit the issue internally. It will take a few days to get response. You also could create a support ticket as Gilbert suggested. Then you will get help more quickly.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Thanks Xue Ding,

Will raise a formal ticket. Will update further once the issue is resolved.

Regards,

Rishiraj

Hi @rishirajdeb ,

The issue has been submitted (ICM: #178089034). If there is any message, I'll post here as well.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Hi there

I would suggest logging a support ticket for them to investigate the issue

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rishirajdeb ,

I find the response from Power BI Team. Please see below for detail information:

Basically the scenario described below should work on PBI portal: Change of parameters followed by a refresh should be reflected in the report.

However, there are a few disclaimers:

1. on shared capacity (which I believe is the case), PBI shows (in the update parameters UI)  the new values, but it takes up to 30 minutes for these parameters to propagate into our internal modules. So an immediate refresh may be ineffective. Please ensure 30 minutes between changing the parameters and doing the refresh.

2. AFAIU, this report is fed by an xlsx and the pbix attached expects the xlsx in specific location on desktop.  How is it handled on PBI portal? do you have the xlsx on Sharepoint? or accesses via OnPrem gateway? If this is not well set, the refresh simply doesn't happen, and so also the parameter change .

So please

(a) make sure the refresh is really executed and successful (change something in the source as well, make sure you see its effect.)

(b) make sure that after changing the parameters you wait 30 minutes before the refresh

Note that the 30 minutes wait is  not an enforced restriction. You may be lucky that see the effect of the parameter change also with more frequent refreshes, but it is not guarantied. The effect is guarantied only for refreshes done 30 minutes after the parameter change.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors