Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

caseycook
Helper I
Helper I

Quarterly audit for user access to Workspaces, Apps, dashboards, and reports.

I need to be able to audit who has access to workspaces, apps, reports, and dashboards on a quarterly basis.  Is there a way to pull this information either via powershell or within Power BI itself?  I can't use the azure audit logs since they only look at activity, not potential activity.  I couldn't find a Powershell Cmdlet that pulls members of a workspace, or app.  Please tell me this is feasable, I really don't feel like manually going through everything.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

There are Power BI Admin APIs which will allow you to get the information you require.

Here is an example of an API that gets all the users in an App Workspace.

Yes this could all be put into a PowerShell script and loop through all the App Workspaces

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/groups_getgroupsasadmin#get_workspaces_with...)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Currently that is not possible.

And in the near future all App Workspaces will be migrated to the V2 App Workspaces, which then will allow you to view the members.

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

There are Power BI Admin APIs which will allow you to get the information you require.

Yes this could all be put into a PowerShell script and loop through all the App Workspaces

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/groups_getgroupsasadmin#get_workspaces_with...)

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ wrote:
Hi there

It appears that you can only expand the users in the new workspace experience.  Is there a way to get the users for the old workspaces?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/groups_getgroupsasadmin#get_workspaces_with...

And in the near future all App Workspaces will be migrated to the V2 App Workspaces, which then will allow you to view the members.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ wrote:

So, it seems I could use the method above to pull for new workspaces, and then Get-UnifiedGroup for the old workspaces?

@GilbertQ 

When I run this command I get the users: Get-PowerBIWorkspace -Scope Organization

Capture.2PNG.PNG

However when I try to Get-PowerBIWorkspace -Scope Organization -top 50 | ConvertTo-Json the users all show up "as Microsoft.PowerBI.Common.Api.Workspaces.WorkspaceUser"  Is there a way to just keep the users as a json?

Capture.PNG

This seemed to do it

Get-PowerBIWorkspace -Scope Organization -top 5000 | ConvertTo-Json -Depth 3

Awesome, thanks for letting us know.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors