Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sayub
Frequent Visitor

Q&A with multiple datasets on the same dashboard

Hi,

I have a question:

I am working with two data sets which are very similar just that one has a little more information than the other. I have these two datasets in power BI as shown in the picture below. I have reports on both datasets but i want to build only one dashboard which has visulization from both, i can achieve that by pinning the visulizations to the dashboard. But since i have one dashboard and two datasets when i use the "Q&A" service it is defaulting to only one source (as shown below, Source: Power Pivot test) . Is it possible to toggle and choose what source we want to get an answer from? in my case if i want to use the skill profile dashbaord source?Pictures 1.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I think you don't have this option..This was and option (still is ) to choose what data model to use in Power BI for O365 (V1) , with some others great options to monitor questions not found, usage, custom phrasing ,  in the Power BI admin center.

Until ( I hope it will transfered to V2 ) then, when you pin a graph in dashboard it automatically reads the data model for Q&A

Konstantinos Ioannou

View solution in original post

Unfortunaly no. Only the one we configure gateways & stuff, which doesn't have any of the features of PowerBI V1 we are discussing..

Konstantinos Ioannou

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I don't see a way to do this, they sort of need the way that Power BI for O365 allows you to select fields from all of your data sources, but it looks like the fields list is getting filtered down to just one data source from my experiments.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Right - it does filter it to the only source that gets selected. Is there a work around (other than creating one dashboard for each data set to get the Q&A answered for that set).

Because Q&A is such a great service , only if you can toggle or specify where to get the results from , it will be just incredible

Please let me know if anyone has found any work arounds

Sheikh

sayub,

what kind of datasets have you got there? Both of them are Power Pivot models?

Make sure that your datasets meet all conditions described here: https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/474690-make-your-data-work-well-with-q-a-in-power...

sayub
Frequent Visitor

Hey ajanson,

actually one source is a direct power pivot model, the other dataset is from a published .pbix file from power Desktop.

But since the dataset was similar thats why it was hard to see but it seems that the Q&A is performing its default behavior which is "selecting the most appropiate dataset for your Q&A question". Now just to clear out my question further, what i wanetd to know was , is there a way to select a dataset that i want to use regardless of if Q&A engine thinks of it the better source or not. So since we have two dataset, and when i type my question in Q&A it goes to source 1 automatically but i want it to go to the second dataset. Not sure if its possible to toggle between datasets manually.

I hope it further clears my quesiton now.

Sheikh

I think you don't have this option..This was and option (still is ) to choose what data model to use in Power BI for O365 (V1) , with some others great options to monitor questions not found, usage, custom phrasing ,  in the Power BI admin center.

Until ( I hope it will transfered to V2 ) then, when you pin a graph in dashboard it automatically reads the data model for Q&A

Konstantinos Ioannou

A shame, would be a great feature!

Thanks Konstantinos

It makes sense - since we are on that topic i was just curious, i know there was a admin console for Power BI for O365, is there is a admin console for Power BI V2 or it is the same console we use to configure any gateways and stuff -

I apoligise if my question is a little vague 🙂

Thanks,

Sheikh

Unfortunaly no. Only the one we configure gateways & stuff, which doesn't have any of the features of PowerBI V1 we are discussing..

Konstantinos Ioannou

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors