Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Madhurima
Frequent Visitor

Q&A with azure analysis services in live mode

I have set up an Azure Analysis Service on my Azure platform. Also have added a model by connecting to Azure SQL database. All of these are on Cloud, so no On-Premise gateway is required. 

From Power BI desktop i have connected to the Azure SQL service in LIVE mode and able to create reports. I publish this report to web. And try to access in Power BI web which is working fine and have created dashboard as well.

To enable Q&A i specifically go to Settings-> Dataset and enable the checkbox for q&a. I switch to dashboard and again in dashboard setting i try to enable the q&a, it says "Q&A is not available for any of the datasets used on this dashboard.

As per the Power BI docs, Q&A is supoorted for Azure Analysis services and SQL Service Analysis Services. But i don't see this q&a box in the power BI for Azure analysis services in live mode.

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

It would appear from your explanation that you are live connecting to Azure SQL Database, which is currently not supported for Q&A?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I came across this post on the forum. The member has mentioned it is possible.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Q-amp-A-in-Azure-Analysis-Live-Connection/td-p/201144

Is this valid?

Hi there

That is correct when connecting to Azure Analysis Services, as per your post it was connecting to Azure SQL DB?

Power BI Blog

Sorry misunderstood your earlier post. Yes, my power BI is connected to Azure Analysis Services in live mode. AAS inturn is pulling data from Azure SQL DB. Power BI is not directly talking to SQL DB.

I notice that q&a is not enabled for AAS with live connection. Is this expected behaviour ?

Hi there, it should work as per the documentation

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors