Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bhagwat
Regular Visitor

Q&A responses are different in Service from the response received in Power BI Desktop.

I mapped a fiscal_year field to synonym 'year' and 'fiscal year'. fiscal_year field connects dates from Sep to Aug as an year to be used in queries like 'sales this year' to signify sales in current fiscal year. When I use this field to say 'this year' in Q&A in Desktop file it currectly select all dates for all days starting from 1st Sep of previous year to 31st Aug of current year as a fiscal year dates. see below

bhagwat_0-1654525664648.png

BUT when I publish this and use same query 'this year' in published Q&A  it doesnt recognize it:

bhagwat_1-1654525740034.png

The effect of this is that when I ask 'sales this year' it works fine to give me correct sales figures of current fiscal year as a card figure. Similary 'sales last year' works fine to give me correct sales figures of previous fiscal year as a card figure. BUT when I use these queries 'sales last year' and 'sales last year' in published report in Service, it given me a total figures of both years as its not able to understand the year there and just shows a total sales figure of both years similar to query 'Total Sales'.

Other examples are queries like 'Total sales this year vs last year as table' , this works fine to give two rows with totals of year 2021 then year 2022. But when same query is used in Service - its just giving total sales in one row.

I want terms 'fiscal year', 'year' to be synonymous and these are setup correctly for field fiscal_year, but Strange thing is, if I replace term 'year' by 'fiscal year' for e.g. instead of 'total sales this year vs last year as table' if I say 'total sales this fiscal year vs last fiscal year as table' now the Dekstop Q&A does works and is blank but strangely Published Q&A in service works fine.

Please help asap if anybody else facing similar issues with resposne or form of resposne being different between Desktop Q&A and published Service Q&A

3 REPLIES 3
bhagwat
Regular Visitor

@v-yanjiang-msft I ahve dat afor 2012 and 2022, desktop understand correctly queries like 'sale this fiscal year' , 'sales last fiscal year' , 'sales in fiscal year 2022', to give sales for the year asked, but when I ask same query in Service it adds sales for 2021 and 2022 which means Service doesn't understand what year is given in the user query.

In order for Service to behave same as Desktop I have to use where clause i.e. 'Sales where fiscal year is 2022' - this is not the natural way for business users to ask such a question.

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bhagwat ,

According to your description, actually can't reproduce your problem. By my test, as long as there is a date column in the report, it will return data when entering "this year" in Service.

I suggest you update the Desktop to the latest version to have a try.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

There are several date columns in multiple tables, I have switched them off in Q&A setup so that these are not included in Q&A. I have just a single table for dates, this is having a field 'fiscal_year', I mapped it to term 'year' and 'fiscal year' by adding these as synonyms to this field.

This works in Desktop as expected, but doesn't work in Service?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors