Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gjadal
Employee
Employee

Q&A is not available for any of the datasets

I connected my powerbi dashboard to an underlying Azure sql database. However, the Q&A option in settings displays a message

'Q&A is not available for any of the datasets used on this dashboard' .

Is this a known issue? Any workaround to get the Q&A to work with direct connection to azure sql. ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@gjadal Q&A is currently not supported for Direct Query mode.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting exact same issue not using any direct query. 

I have tried with Excel sheet 

Also 

uploaded model via power bi desktop without any connections to try Q& A getting same issue. 

Anyone else found any work around ??

maghan
Employee
Employee

Please reference these articles for more information.

Q&A in Power BI

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-q-and-a/

How to use Power BI Q&A

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-how-to-use-q-and-a/

Enable Q&A for Direct Query (Preview)

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-q-and-a-direct-query/

Section from article - Enable Q&A for Direct Query (Preview)

Limitations during Public Preview

During the Preview phase of this feature, there are several limitations:

• Initially the feature is only available for SQL Server 2016 Analysis Services data sources. The feature is optimized to work with tabular data. Some functionality is available for multi-dimensional data sources, but the full Q&A experience is not yet supported for this dataset type. Additional data sources supported by the enterprise gateway will be rolled out during the public preview.

• Full support for row level security defined in the SQL Server Analysis Services is not available initially in the public preview. While asking questions in Q&A, the “auto-complete” of questions while typing can show string values a user does not have access to. However, RLS defined in the model is respected for report and chart visuals so no underlying numerical data can be exposed. Options to control this behavior will be released in coming updates.

• Q&A does not work with Power BI Gateway-Personal data sources.

Mark Ghanayem - Microsoft BI Support Team

Thank for the answer but it does not solve my problem.

Like I said before, I'm not using direct query and I'm not using RLS. I'm using Excel files and the option for Q&A isn't available for this particular dataset while it is available for other datasets that I have.

I do not find any answer to this particular case in what you suggest.

Can you think of any other possible reason?

Thanks.

ccsm_powerbi
Advocate II
Advocate II

I have the same problem

I'm not using Direct Query.

I'm not using RLS.

So, what could be the problem?

saprano
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I'm geting this same issue and my data source is a folder of CSV files on my laptop so not using Direct Query. I'm sure it worked earlier!

Thanks

Rishi

Hi I had the same problem with an Access DataBase, the problem was that I had a role created so the Q&A is disabled because in Q&A sequrity roles are not avaiables.... 

I hapo it helps 😉

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@gjadal Q&A is currently not supported for Direct Query mode.

I have the same message and I'm using a .pbix file on premise. What could possibly cause the error message?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors