Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rnoyce
Frequent Visitor

Q&A does not appear in published app

I've recently upgraded from SQL Server 2014 to 2016, including SSAS 2016 Tabular cubes.  I am now able to use the Q&A functionality within my workspace, as well as App workspaces, having set the dataset to allow this:

Q&Ascreenshot1.PNG

As well as setting the dashboard to display the Q&A section:

Q&Ascreenshot2.PNG

However, when I publish the App and open the dashboard, there is no Q&A section displayed.  As previously mentioned, it works in the App workspace, so I know it's not an issue with the tabular cube, or the fact it's direct query, or permissions.  Does anyone have a similar issue or solution?  Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rnoyce,

It seems like current multidimensional model still not support Q&A features.

For detailed information, I'd like to suggest take a look at below below link:

Enable Q&A for live connections

Considerations and troubleshooting

• Initially the feature is only available for SQL Server 2016 Analysis Services Tabular data sources. The feature is optimized to work with tabular data. Some functionality is available for multi-dimensional data sources, but the full Q&A experience is not yet supported for multi-dimensional. Additional data sources supported by the on-premises data gateway will be rolled out over time.
  • Full support for row level security defined in SQL Server Analysis Services is not available initially in the public preview. While asking questions in Q&A, the “auto-complete” of questions while typing can show string values a user does not have access to. However, RLS defined in the model is respected for report and chart visuals so no underlying numerical data can be exposed. Options to control this behavior will be released in coming updates.
  • Live connections are only supported with the on-premises data gateway. As a result, this cannot be used with the personal gateway.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft Thanks for the reply.  That is the point though, I am using a tabular data source and have got it working.  The issue is that it does not work in a published app, only in an app workspace.  So to me it appears to be an issue with published apps and not the data source

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am experiencing this also

I have  Q&A Working in the App Space but not in the Published version of the app  - The Q&A  Dialog appears in the Published app with some of the Columns and Measures  but it is not Functional  nothing you type or select returns a result.

Any update or guidance on this?

From my understanding Apps currently do not have Q&A because an App is a read only copy of existing dashboards and reports. By having Q&A that would then allow them to make changes to the current App (which is read only)?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the upate, i can see what you are saying makes sence techincally as you can pin the result of the Q&A back to the dashboard.

But Q&A  is geat for allowing folks to query and visualize data them selves without you having to stage the chart  inside the report or dashboard.  As appsis the "Prefered" way of sharing  he reports and dashboards, does that mean tha Q&A is only seen as a authoring Tool?

If so I think that is a mistake

Q&A is for when dashboards are getting created. Whilst an App is read only which is what some organizations require for end users.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you are saying. 

I only have a couple to things to say - then I'll shut up.

• If what you say is true, then dont show the Q&A Dialog in the distrbuted App, its very confusing and levae the impression that the app is not working 
  • I think there is a intermediate scenario (which maybe exists but I a Missing it)  - its true that we dont want users to CHANGE the distributed app, But I have no problems with the audience taking that and adding thier own views of that data. We have many dimension and attributes and we cannnot and will not create visualizations for.  If we could leverage the Power of Q&A for people to be able to Say  Show me X by Y as a MAP for County A, and have that as local personal  view , that would be awesome

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors