cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chulpanvl
Frequent Visitor

Python script as a data source in Power BI Service

Hello!

I have created a dashboard which uses a Python script a s a data source (it makes requests to google analytics API). Python script works fine at PBI Desktop.

As far as I understood in order to refresh data in Power Bi Service on a regular basis I need to configure a On-premises data gateway (personal mode). I did that using this instructions https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-install

So first I installed and configured a standard gateway (named powerbi_python) and then a personal mode gateway. They are installed on the same machine as my pbix file and Python.

I am confused what should I do next. I want to add a new data source under this gateway but Python script isn’t on the list:

chulpanvl_0-1643382048774.png

I go to settings -> datasets and there is a message saying the gateway isn’t configured correctly and an error message Extension{"extensionDataSourceKind":"Python","extensionDataSourcePath":"Python»} unable to add to gateway. Lower is another info saying the personal gateway is not installed although I did install it. Sorry the screen is in Russian.

chulpanvl_1-1643382096149.png

What am I missing here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Remove both gateways and then reinstall the personal gateway.  Python scripts only work with personal gateways.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Remove both gateways and then reinstall the personal gateway.  Python scripts only work with personal gateways.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through May 31st!

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Power BI Dev Camp Session 22 768x460.jpg

Check it out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, May 26 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors