Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

preetisb15
Frequent Visitor

Python datasource refresh via service

Some context:

• I have written a python script to extract directly from a cloud app and do some cleaning & transformation (within PowerBI desktop) 
  • Then I have built some tables / visulations (not relevant) 
  • Finally I have published the report on as usual in my workspace  

My problem:

• When I try to refresh the table on PowerBI Web, I got this error message:

Data source error:
Scheduled refresh is disabled because at least one data source is missing credentials. To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources. Then reactivate scheduled refresh.
Cluster URI:
Activity ID:
22f1c7e5-0f96-42e1-90de-af70805bd46c
Request ID:
b9b340dd-a1da-4cb8-cb11-dd38a98b5523
Time:
2020-06-15 07:50:04Z

Does anyone have any ideas on this? is python supported as a datasouce in powerbi webservice?

Many thanks!!!
4 REPLIES 4
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @preetisb15 ,

You may implement schedule refresh via Personal Gateway for Python in Power BI Service. The additional steps are the following:

• Install the Personal Gateway - you need a Personal Gateway installed on the machine where the file is located, and where Python is installed, see more:install and configure gateway.

• Enable scheduled refresh for the dataset – Need to enable scheduled refresh for the dataset with Python scripts, see :configure the schedule refresh.

You may resolve the issue via the troubleshooting link :https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-troubleshooting-refresh-scenarios .

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xicai ,

Thanks this works! however, the scheduled refresh only works when my computer is on (i.e when the gateway is running in my computer). When my computer is shutdown - i get refresh errors.. is that expected with personal Gateway?

Hi @preetisb15 ,

For both enterprise gateway and personal gateway, because the gateway runs on the computer that you install it on, be sure to install it on a computer that's always turned on. For better performance and reliability, we recommend that the computer is on a wired network rather than a wireless one. If a gateway uses a wireless network, its performance might suffer.

You shouldn't install a gateway on a computer, like a laptop, that might be turned off, asleep, or disconnected from the internet. The gateway can't run under any of those circumstances.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

it sounds like you need to set up you datasource properly, have you got a gateway set up..

also this might help
https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2016/08/23/web-contents-m-functions-and-dataset-refresh-errors-in-power...

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors