Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eeew00
Helper I
Helper I

Python 2 - Personal gateway

Hi guys,

I have a report that depends on Python 2, which refreshes without any issue in desktop.

When I upload the report and try refreshing the data, I get a refresh failure, pointing to syntax errors.

This is probably because the personal gateway is trying to refresh through Python 3 (tested in desktop and when switching to Py3 I get the same errors about syntax)

So, has anybody figured out how to run a personal gateway with Python 2?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Do you have the luxury of removing Python3 from that computer?  If not, read up on how to specify the default path for Python.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Do you have the luxury of removing Python3 from that computer?  If not, read up on how to specify the default path for Python.

Thanks for your reply. Removing is sort of last resort, I'd rather change the path, which is also giving me some trouble:

in CMD - "where python" lists both versions, with 2.7 on top (correct?)

in CMD - "python -v", and just "python" both give me 2.7

Python 2.7 is on the top of Path in system variables

Am I missing something? Rebooted computer and gateway but still "Invalid Syntax"..

Ok guess what - I reuploaded the report to the service and that fixed it! (perhaps I had uploaded the latest version with PY3 selected in PBI desktop? Should that matter?)

In any case, Py2 on top of Path in system variables and afterwards reuploading the report with PY2 selected in Options in PBI desktop seems to have solved it.

Thanks very much for your help @lbendlin 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors