Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SharonHMA
Helper I
Helper I

Purchase/Admin PowerBI pro for team without office365

I need help figuring out how to get PowerBI Pro for team members without them all signing up individually.  Here's our current status

1) I have a powerBI pro trial and want to purchase for myself & team members

2) I'm using the scheduling functionality in PowerBI Pro right now

3) I need to add 10-12 users that I administer / invite

4) We don't (yet) use office365 and our rollout will be at least a year away.

In previous messages (eg https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-Pro-for-non-Office-365-Users/m-p/8895#M3829) they talked about a chat option.  This now seems to be gone.  When I choose "no or unsure" for Office365, then "team or organization" it takes me to a form process to purchase.  

I'm a little leary to do this without knowing the implications since it's actually asking about me, my email etc. even though I already have a pro trial account.

Does anyone have any insight into the new purchase process

1) If I buy for the team will I be able to invite (and pay for) pro team members (and uninvite if need be)

2) If I fill this in, will I end up with a second account or will it just upgrade my current trial to full pro account

3) I assume it will not undo any current settings.

4) when we upgrade to office365 will having an powerbi account now impact any of this process?

Thanks -- love power bi, want to buy for some team members but the process is very confusing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mitsu
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Here is how we usually do this for our clients :

Take the admin control  on  o 365 and add the subcription and assign the same to the users .  You do not have to buy any 0 365 subcription to take admin rights on the tenant .  Here is how you can go about doing this :

1> From your PBI - Pro Account   (Yellow box on top left)>> Click on Admin 

2>It will ask you to take admin rights   of the 0365  tenant . In the process it will ask you to verify the  admin rights of your public domain by making a text entry on the same .

3> Once you complete the above steps it will take you to the 0 365 admin center . 

4> Go to Billing >>subcriptions and find power bi pro subscription go thru the purchasing steps .

5> Create users on the user tab and assign the license of power BI pro to them .

Whenever in the future you decide to upgrade to 0 365 , the same admin center can be used to add and manage your 0365 subcription as well .

Hope this helps .

Regards,

Mitsu

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
mitsu
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Here is how we usually do this for our clients :

Take the admin control  on  o 365 and add the subcription and assign the same to the users .  You do not have to buy any 0 365 subcription to take admin rights on the tenant .  Here is how you can go about doing this :

1> From your PBI - Pro Account   (Yellow box on top left)>> Click on Admin 

2>It will ask you to take admin rights   of the 0365  tenant . In the process it will ask you to verify the  admin rights of your public domain by making a text entry on the same .

3> Once you complete the above steps it will take you to the 0 365 admin center . 

4> Go to Billing >>subcriptions and find power bi pro subscription go thru the purchasing steps .

5> Create users on the user tab and assign the license of power BI pro to them .

Whenever in the future you decide to upgrade to 0 365 , the same admin center can be used to add and manage your 0365 subcription as well .

Hope this helps .

Regards,

Mitsu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to purchase given the current envrioment? Those steps no longer work. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitsu Thank you very much for your solution. It is short and clear and works perfect! 

I don't believe this works any more. When I login in to Power BI using an account that as a Power BI Pro license, there is no Admin option under the menu you get from clicking the yellow box in the top left. I haven't been able to find anything like that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mitsu

Your explanation is very clear.

I have one question, without Office 365 to set up Power BI do we need Azure subscription to manage Power BI?

Quick response will be appreciated.

Mitsu

Thank you!  This works perfectly.  It's actually a very easy process once you know where to look, your instructions were very helpful.

Thanks again, 

Sharon

Sois this mean that without O365....we can use PowerBi PRO? 

@SharonHMA Gald it worked !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors