Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Manal
Regular Visitor

Pull Data into Power BI

Hi,

I have managed to code java methods that allow getting data from an external app and pushing it into power bi. The first idea was to push data from the app which is now implemented. However, now I want to do that from Power BI. 

Is there a way I can pull data into powerBI from my app? Also I want to know if it's possible to update Power BI filters from an external data source.

Thank you 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Manal

I am not sure about external data source but you can use powerbi URL to set filters. For example https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/99999999-3498-3a81-acdc-1386adfo8901b?filter=MyDataset/Gen... eq 'F'

Where '99999999-3498-3a81-acdc-1386adfo8901b' is my report I'd, 'MyDataset' is my dataset, 'Gender' is filter and is equal to 'F'.

You can use power bi rest api calls to push data live from your application. Here is documentation on rest api.

Thakn you for your help.

Are you sure it's the dataset name that I have to pass not the table name (filter=...) ?

On more question, how do I encode the space between Gender_eq_'value' ? 

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/99999999-3498-3a81-acdc-1386adfo8901b?filter=MyDataset/Gender eq 'F'

Thank you again.

I have an hybrid data source that I get data from using SOAP calls. The java code pulls data from my app then pushes it into power BI using the REST API.

What I want to do is when I hit "Refresh" in the PBI Dashboard, execute my java code and get the new data without having to do it from my app. 

Now I'm sending the data from my app but it would be better if I can call the data from PBI.

Is there a curl command that enables this call?

Hi @Manal,

A hybrid database is not available in Power BI data source list. In your scenario, the better way is to get data via rest API. When refresh the dashboard, it's unavoidable to execute the code again to get data from hybrid.

Best regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Does it mean that it is not possible to call an external web service and pull data into Power BI?

Is the only option is to push data into Power BI?

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

It's difficult to advise without knowing anything about the source you want to pull from. Is it stored in any sort of database, or perhaps in a data file (text, csv, etc)?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors