Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Publishing report with custom ODBC connection to service?

We're trying to connect Power BI to Intersystems Cache database for our Avaya Aura Contact Center Management Server using their Intersystems Cache ODBC driver. From what I understand, this method of connecting is for desktop reporting only. I wonder how this will transfer over to the service when publishing the report?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @v-rongtiep-msft . It turns out we will need to pay Avaya to setup another user account for us that will be used by Power BI to login to the Cache db and pull data. As such we have to have an internal meeting as to whether we even want to do this anymore since such decisions are above my pay grade. So for now this issue is parked.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pborah ,

How about publishing the pbix file to Service?

how to configure and connect to ODBC data source(On-Premises) on Power BI Desktop and refresh on Power BI Service

There are 4 steps to complete the process

1. Install the driver for the data source and configure the ODBC Data source
  2. Connect to the ODBC source from Power BI Desktop
  3. Add the Datasource to Power BI Gateway
  4. Publish the report to Power BI service and map the Data source to the Gateway.

Step one: Install the ODBC driver for the data source and configure the ODBC Data source

Ensure that the bit for Power BI Desktop and the driver are the same (64 bit recommended).

Step two: Connect to the ODBC source from Power BI Desktop

Ensure that you are using updated version of Power BI Desktop.

Step three: Add the Datasource to Power BI Gateway

Ensure that you are using the updated version of Power BI Gateway.

Step four: Publish the report to Power BI service and map the Data source to the Gateway.

More details : REFRESHING ODBC DATASOURCE ON POWER BI SERVICE 

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-rongtiep-msft . It turns out we will need to pay Avaya to setup another user account for us that will be used by Power BI to login to the Cache db and pull data. As such we have to have an internal meeting as to whether we even want to do this anymore since such decisions are above my pay grade. So for now this issue is parked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors