Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tom_V

Publishing report with composite models with azure sql gives gateway error

We are trieing to use composite models in powerbi.

What we are testing is using a azure sql connection and an excel, in the desktop app this works without problems.

Yet we want to publish this to the web but we get an error after publishing: "Publishing succeeded, but the published report can't connect to the data source because we were unable to find a gateway. Please install and configure an enterprise gateway"

And when we visit the website we get the error: "This data source can't be accessed by a data gateway: Server: ********.database.windows.net; Database: *******"

It looks like the API allows us to change the connection string, yet it doesn't change the error in the web app, and the settings UI only allows us to set up a gateway connection and not a data source credentials.

Are we doing possibly something wrong or is this a known issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateways are an all or nothing deal. Either they handle all of your connections, or none of them.

Earlier this year a new feature was added which allows the Gateways to route to cloud sources without configuration of those sources.  But this needs to be turned on under manage gateways:

Gateway.PNG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have the exact same issue. We have a pbix model made of 2 sources: 1 Excel on-premises file (import mode), 1 Azure SQL db (direct query). We create the connection for the Excel file in the gateway, but there is still an error message for the Azure SQL db. It is asking for a connection definition for this one too, which makes no sense. So that's what we did, and define a connection for the Azure SQL db as if it was an on-premises SQL Server source, and it works.

It think there is a glitch in the logic to detect which data source requires a connection or not in the gateway with Composite model, if we mix on-premises and Azure data source in the same model.

To prove it, I change the location of my Excel file for a onedrive location. So both Excel and Azure SQL db are in the cloud. I disabled the gateway for that model, and it works fine. But as soon 1 of my source is on-premises, Power BI seems to be lost and is asking for a gateway connection for the Azure one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateways are an all or nothing deal. Either they handle all of your connections, or none of them.

Earlier this year a new feature was added which allows the Gateways to route to cloud sources without configuration of those sources.  But this needs to be turned on under manage gateways:

Gateway.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ross. We didn't know that gateway usage was "an all or nothing deal" !?!! We though only on-premises data sources would require a gateway connection, not the cloud ones, eventhough they are in the same model. Can you point me to this particular specification please, would like to document the issue internally. Many thanks !

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know a specific document that points it out.  I did a quick check and nothing i could find comes up.  It is how it works though.  Just get that check box turned on in the managed gateways and it will pass through all of the cloud sources in the manner you were expecting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done, yes looks like it.  Knew it had to be somewhere!

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Tom_V,

Based on my test, after you have published your report, you need to configure a gateway for your local excel file, then it could work on the service:

1.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you configured an On-Premise data gateway for the connection to the Excel file?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors