Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Publishing "hangs" from Power BI Desktop

Hi, we're having a weird issue while trying to publish from Power BI desktop. For some users (myself included), when we try to publish anything from desktop, it prompts for the workspace and begins the publishing process. I can also see that it finishes publishing because in app.powerbi.com both the report and data set show up (to the point where we can actually run the reports).

But on the client side - the "publishing" dialog never goes away - it keeps running forever. And if we hit "cancel" to stop the publishing, then it just says "Cancelling" and also never completes.

Other users don't have this problem at all - even ones with the exact same permissions, desktop version, etc. And I can reproduce this behavior on even .pbix files that only contain one table with one row of manually typed in data - so it's not any type of "data set is too large" issue.

Any ideas? I'm not sure how to even proceed with troubleshooting this issue.

Thanks!

Scott

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

There currently some issues with the Power BI Service, which could be causing your issues as shown below.

image.png

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gilbert - I never knew about that page - thanks for the link!

But I don't think this is the issue - right now the service shows as running normally. And the problem isn't intermittent - it always happens on my computer and at least one of my cohorts, While others have absolutely no issues, even at the same times that I can't publish.

Wish I knew how to troubleshoot this - does Power BI desktop write any sort of debug or log files?

Scott

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as a follow up, we're working with MS on identifying the issue. It's definitely something related to the May 2018 release of Power BI - if I uninstall and go back to April version, it publishes correctly. I'll post an update when we find a fix or workaround.

Thanks,

Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors