Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

helenmc
Regular Visitor

Publishing partnership dashboard with restricted access at partner level

Hi, my first post!  I have built a partnership dashboard in Power Bi which illustrates performance against outputs and results amongst other things by partner.  The partnership consists of multiple partners, both internal and external.  My organisation has a Pro licence but some other partners don't so I can't use row level security.  Is there a way to share a 'view' if I filter by partner so that they can view and interact with their own dashboard but not access the underlying data or access other partner dashboards?  Or will I have to produce several separate dashboards and split the data sets?  

The combined dashboard is fed from a single workbook with several data sets stored on SharePoint containing combined partner and project data and uses power query to pull the data from several source excel spreadsheets located on our network.  I'd rather not build another 9 data sets and dashboards!  Hoping someone can help.  Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
helenmc
Regular Visitor

Sorry for the second post, just a thought, if I published to a Sharepoint site which partners have access to, would RLS work this way as it is web-based or will they still need a Pro-Licence?

helenmc
Regular Visitor

Thank you for responding so quickly and the detailed response.  My sticking point is that to use RLS all recipients of the dashboard/report need to have a Pro Licence?  Most of the partners I want to share with don't have this.  RLS is exactly what I need to be able to do but can't given the licence restrictions, so was wondering if anyone had a workaround on this, for example, do I need to create separate reports for each partner and then share?

Kind regards 

v-xiaosun-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @helenmc ,

According to your description, here is my suggestion.

I think if you pin all the visuals on the same dashboard, then users will access all the visuals on the dashboard. If you want users to see only their own content on the dashboard, you should pin them to different dashboards and share them to users. But when users click the visual on the dashboard, they will turn to the report and access the underlying data.

Therfore,  you can use RLS to restrict user access to the underlying reports and datasets. Please note that RLS can only control rows.

So you can put data that different users can access into different pages of the report, and then you can take the name of each page as a row for the permission table and then use navigation to jump to the corresponding page.

vxiaosunmsft_0-1664262815124.png

Manage roles in desktop:

vxiaosunmsft_1-1664262815132.png

Create a cover to show the page permission of different users. Put “page permission” into slicer.

Create a measure:

page navigation =
SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Tabelle1 (2)'[page permission] )

Create a button as page navigation and use the measure as destination.

vxiaosunmsft_2-1664262815134.png

Finally, publish the report to service and add members of RLS, then when user open the report, they can only view pages they are allowed to.

This way, when partners enter the underlying report from the dashboard, they can only see their own content.

Please refer to the following documents.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Create a Power BI dashboard from a report - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ xiaosun

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors