Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sneddon65
Frequent Visitor

Publishing confidential Reports and Dashboards to external users who have a PBI pro licence

I am trying to share confidential data with specific users outside of my organisation. This includes reports and dashboards. The users typically have a PBI pro licen

3 REPLIES 3

@sneddon65 Are you asking if this works, if it is secure?... Sharing content with someone external to your organization by directly sharing with them is secure. It requires that the user have a Pro license (you say they do), and they will need to access the Report via the shared link, it will no show up in their "Shared with me" section.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

So I guess i am asking a couple of things. We have privacy concerns with this data so how secure is this process. We have a group of reports to sahre with users outside our organisation but with PBI Pro licence. What is the best way to share the worksapce with them?

@sneddon65 Sharing the workspace is the last method I would use honestly. I would share an App with them instead. Alternatively share reports or dashboards. The permissions to the object are specific to the individual you are sharing with, someone who gets the link sent to them that is not shared with won't be able to see the report. Depending on what you mean by secure, you could also disable export of data in admin settings, or on the reports themselves if you wanted the data never to leave the report. Outside of those things, the sharing method is secured through Azure AD authentication of that guest user, so this isn't like creating a "publish to web" URL link that anyone can have access to, all users have to authenticate and have a Pro license in order to see the report. You can also easily test this out by sharing with your own external outlook or gmail account by adding that user as a guest in your Azure AD environment and applying a Pro license to it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors