Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mporre02

Publishing and Interacting with Data

Hi All,

I will try to be as clear as I can on this question.  I work in the project management field and am required to routinely provide updates on project related information (i.e. project name, start and end dates, status, etc).  I have already created a matrix will all my data with a bunch of visuals, slicers, etc, essentially a dashboard.

My question is, when I publish it, I am assuming the data is reflective of the publish date?  Is it possible to have my team update the data and it updates in real time? or every time there is a reporting cycle do I have to gather all their data/updates, recreate the table and publish again?  Essentially I am looking to make this self serve, so they have the power to make updates that are then populated.

Hope that is clear.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @mporre02 ,

yes, you can schedule up to 8 refreshes per day in the standard workspace in Power BI Service.

How did you provide the information?

If the data is taken from a database or an Excel file that is accessible in Sharepoint, Power BI will update the data from the given source with every refresh. If the data is put manually in the file with "Enter data", then it's hardcoded in the file and you really have to open the file and update the values.

For that reason I would recommend to keep the data in an external source.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Blog: WhatTheFact.bi
Follow me: twitter.com/DenSelimovic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @mporre02 ,

yes, you can schedule up to 8 refreshes per day in the standard workspace in Power BI Service.

How did you provide the information?

If the data is taken from a database or an Excel file that is accessible in Sharepoint, Power BI will update the data from the given source with every refresh. If the data is put manually in the file with "Enter data", then it's hardcoded in the file and you really have to open the file and update the values.

For that reason I would recommend to keep the data in an external source.

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

@selimovd 

Sorry to bother, but just wondering if you happened to see my response.  I am unsure how the integration with a workbook on sharepoint works with Power BI.

Are you suggesting that I start new work and save that work book to sharepoint, so that everyone has access to the source data?  Then I can import that shared workbook into Power BI create my dashboard then publish it.  Once its published, anyone that makes updates to the shared workbook will be updated when power bi refreshes?

Hey @mporre02 ,

sorry, I didn't see your answer. Make sure you always tag the person like this: @mporre02 .

Otherwise I will not get notified when a new reply is added.

When you hardcode the data in your Power BI file it's in the data model. If the data is changing you have to use something dynamic.

Why don't you put your Excel file with the data in OneDrive. Then you can directly load data from the Excel on OneDrive. When the data in the Excel changes, you will get the changes in Power BI after the next refresh. See here how you can do that:

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/connect-to-onedrive-excel-file-from-power-bi-desktop/

Best regards
Denis

Hi Denis, 

Thank you so much for the response.  The initial excel doc was created via inputs from the team, so I guess you could say that it was hard coded.  What happens if I publish the data to powerbi service, does that provide me with what I want?

Regarding your point on sharepoint.  How does that work?  Do I just create the doc and save it to sharepoint?  My org uses one-drive so I can create the doc and then give people access like that.  Apologies about the questions, I am just not sure how the connections work.

Currently, I have created everything that I want from a view perspective in power bi desktop and is essentially ready to go.  The problem I have is, since this data changes often, I am not sure how to publish it so the team can directly make updates and the data refreshes

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors