Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Publishing an App, you cant do this from my Workspace. What should the correct process be?

Hi everyone,

Very new to Power BI. I have been creating my reports and dashboards in the desktop App.

Then when Im happy I have been publishing to My Workspace in order to check everything over, create the dashboards etc.

Once Im happy with that, I have another workspace and I originally created an Organisational Content pack in 'my workspace' and added this to the Workspace where other people in the company can look at it.

However it looks like this is outdated and we now have a create apps.  But there is no Publish app button in the app workspace,

Im very confused. What should the process be? 

How do I move everything over to the main App Workspace from 'My Workspace'

Should I be using My workspace at all?

any hekp would be really appreciated

Debbie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DebbieE

Power BI App is a way of sharing content with end users.      

An app can be shared with a group of people or the entire organization.    

With Power BI apps, you can share content with end users, without the worry to change something in the development environment.

While you add users in the App workplace, users can be grantted view or edit permission which means they could view or edit contents in this workplace.

for example,

if you want to share dataset1, report1 and dashboad1 only to user1, also share dataset2, report2 and dashboad2 only to user2, you could publish or create datasets 1,2 in the App workplace, then create App1 including dataset1, report1 and dashboad1, and create App2 including dataset2, report2 and dashboad2, then publish App1 to user1,  App2 to user2.

If you just add user1 and user2 as members of this App workplace, they both have access to two datasets.

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

" My Workspace" is not avaliable for create APPS, you need to create new WorksSpaces to do that.

So essentially, I shouldnt be publishing my reports into 'My Workspace'? 

I dont want to publich straight into my Marketing Workspace because  other people have access to this workspace. Im clearly very confused about the process because If I do publish straight into the Marketing Workspace from Desktop, whats the point in creating an app? Whats the point in having a My Workspace?

Are there any good guides about this? The ones Ive looked at have confused me even more. I just need a process for Creating Reports in Desktop. Publishing to a workspace and then creating an app in order to share with users?

Debbie

Create a New Workspace, publish your reports in this new workspace, create dashboards if you want, and then create a app...just this.

My WorksSpace is the way that freeusers have to publish in web your dashboards, but free users are not allowed to share or create apps. If you have a pro account and want to create a app you need to create a new workspace.

That makes lots more sense Thankyou.

The one thing that I still struggle with. If I publish to my Marketing Workspace, this already has team members in who can look at the reports. If I need to create an app to share with them..... But they already have access to the workspace?

So Im still struggling about why I need to create the app? 

Hi @DebbieE

Power BI App is a way of sharing content with end users.      

An app can be shared with a group of people or the entire organization.    

With Power BI apps, you can share content with end users, without the worry to change something in the development environment.

While you add users in the App workplace, users can be grantted view or edit permission which means they could view or edit contents in this workplace.

for example,

if you want to share dataset1, report1 and dashboad1 only to user1, also share dataset2, report2 and dashboad2 only to user2, you could publish or create datasets 1,2 in the App workplace, then create App1 including dataset1, report1 and dashboad1, and create App2 including dataset2, report2 and dashboad2, then publish App1 to user1,  App2 to user2.

If you just add user1 and user2 as members of this App workplace, they both have access to two datasets.

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors