Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Willgart
Helper II
Helper II

Publishing a Power BI report desktop create a new dataset instead of using an existing one

Hi,

I have a report connected to my tabular server,

on power bi web, I have created a dataset connected to my server and my tabular model.

but when I publish my report on the web, a new dataset is created instead of reusing the one I have setup.

and if I have another report again connected to the same server, another dataset is created.

so I have 1 dataset per report, this is not good and this cause a lot of confusion.

Why power bi dekstop didnt ask me which dataset to use when I publish a report?

3 REPLIES 3
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Willgart

If your PBIX files have different file names, different datasets will be created. Please refer to the last section of this document.

If you want to create multiple reports based on one dataset. You can use one PBIX file and create reports in different pages.

Best Regards,

Herbert

ok, so its a problem on how Power BI web is working.

they consider 1 pbix file has a dataset, while the dataset is not the pbix file but the SSAS server.

Also, on the web I can create new reports using a unique dataset.

So its possible to publish a PBIX desktop report without having to create a new dataset.

and so, this mean its a missing feature (to not say a bug)  to be able to do the same from PBIX desktop report.

@Willgart

For feature request, you can create an idea in http://ideas.powerbi.com to get votes.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors