Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jsnbravo
Frequent Visitor

Publishing Report to Development Stage in Deployment Pipeline

We are using the new Deployment Pipeline feature in PBi Service. We already have a Production Workspace with an App that is being used by our users, hence we assigned it to the Production stage in the Pipeline. This Prod Workspace is using an Azure Analysis Services as the source of the dataset.

Now, we did the backward deployment to create the Development and Test workspaces. However, we are now encountering an issue when we try to publish the report to the Development workspace. We have already changed the data source of our PBIX file to the Development dataset, but when we try to publish the report, it doesn't allow us to replace the existing report as it triggers an error: "An error occured while attempting to publish report. The remote server returned an error: (409) Conflict."

To illustrate it better:

Basically what happened when I setup the Deployment Pipeline (note: we did the backward deployment from Prod > Test > Dev) is that:

• we still have the AAS as the main data source
  • PROD
    • AAS feeds to a Dataset 1
    • Report is connected to Dataset 1
  • TEST
    • same AAS feeds to a Dataset 2 (Dataset 2 was automatically created when I did the backward deployment from Prod to Test)
    • Report is connected to Dataset 2
  • DEV
    • same AAS feeds to a Dataset 3 (Dataset 3 was automatically created when I did the backward deployment from Test to Dev)
    • Report is connected to Dataset 3

When I look at the Deployment Pipeline, there's no difference between each stage. The Compare function shows a checkmark for Dev-Test and Test-Prod. Now that I already have the 3 workspaces, the natural flow of development is to update the Report in Dev, right? However, I cannot because of the said error.

How then can we use the Development workspace to build on top of our existing reports?

7 REPLIES 7
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

If I understand correctly, you have a pipeline setup for say x (report and dataset)

Now you have an x.pbix file where you live connected to x dataset in your development workspace

I don't believe you want your x.pbix file live connecting to the dataset, that would make it a different dataset than what your pipeline was setup for.  I think the error is likely due to you having your pbix file named the same as what is in the pipeline and the conflict may be that it can't live connect to itself

I think if you want reports that share (i.e.) live connect to a dataset, then they should be setup in their own pipeline

Not quite. Basically what happened when I setup the Deployment Pipeline (note: we did the backward deployment from Prod > Test > Dev) is that:

• we still have the AAS as the main data source
  • PROD
    • AAS feeds to a Dataset 1
    • Report is connected to Dataset 1
  • TEST
    • same AAS feeds to a Dataset 2 (Dataset 2 was automatically created when I did the backward deployment from Prod to Test)
    • Report is connected to Dataset 2
  • DEV
    • same AAS feeds to a Dataset 3 (Dataset 3 was automatically created when I did the backward deployment from Test to Dev)
    • Report is connected to Dataset 3

When I look at the Deployment Pipeline, there's no difference between each stage. The Compare function shows a checkmark for Dev-Test and Test-Prod. Now that I already have the 3 workspaces, the natural flow of development is to update the Report in Dev, right? However, I cannot because of the said error.

Ah, got it

You have got it setup how we do, except we didn't setup a dev workspace, we stopped at test

You should update both the report and associated dataset (dataset 3), all contained within same pbix file, to the dev workspace

So if your pipeline has "X" report and "X" dataset across the dev, test and prod workspaces, your "X".pbix file, which has the "X" report and "X" dataset all in the pbix file, can be published to the dev workspace

I'm not quite sure I get you.

What I initially did was that in my original PBIX file (from Production), I changed it to point to the dataset in the Development (because our ideal flow now is to build using dataset in Development, then just deploy to higher boxes after). But, I'm getting the Conflict error. 

@jsnbravo  I'm also in the same predecament and very curios on this, have you found a solution?

Simply deleting the backwards deployed report in dev and re-publishing in that workspace ends up changing the GUIDS when re-deploying to TEST and PROD again. (This is simply not an viable option especially when working with embedded).

It's very limiting not being able to re-publish changes to DEV reports that are backwards deployed.

@jsnbravo , @mpicca13,

Please open a support ticket or at least provide some more details so we can investigate (error screenshot, fiddler traces, activity ID of the error).

also, please verify that there's no usage of OneDrive sync beyont what's described here.

So instead of publishing directly from PowerBI Desktop, I decided to try uploading the file onto PowerBI Service to see if it will replace the existing report in Development stage. The warning that the report is already existing popped out, and when I confirmed that I want to replace it, I received the error: "Can't publish file. You already have a dataset "x.pbix" setup with OneDrive refresh. Please save this file with a different name and try again."

I didn't setup any OneDrive refresh. As I mentioned, I let the PBI Deployment Pipelines do all the work when I did the backward deployment setup. How can I turn off this OneDrive refresh? Is this the reason why I can't publish my report?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors