Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JordanPearson
Helper II
Helper II

Publishing Report - Failed to use the selected gateway

Hi all, 

So I need to have a report published by Monday; I've essentially built the whole thing however I'm not experiencing some major issues publishing it to the web. 

I've published it but when I click on the report in web, it says "Can't display the visual", and I have a banner on the top of the screen:  "There is no gateway to access the data source report-detail". Now when I go into the gateway settings on this particular data set, I try to connect to my personal gateway (installed on my machine), however I get another error message: "Failed to use the selected gateway. Please make sure the gateway is up and running and try again."

The report I'm trying to publish is connecting both data from SQL server and Salesforce within the same report. Now around 2 months back I published a similar report (before I had a personal gateway installed) which worked absolutely fine, however now after installing the personal gateway it seems like it's now stopping me from publishing it at all. I've done a test by uploading a dashboard with both just individual salesforce data sets, and same with SQL and they work absolutely fine, so think the issue is me combining the two whilst using a personal GW. 

Please can someone advise me of a work around that can I can do? The report I need to publish for Monday is extremely important, and I just want to get this out there. I can then deal with the 'bigger picture' of getting a gateway installed on the server etc to prevent this from occurring again. 

Big thanks to all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@JordanPearson - The short way around this would be to use Import mode instead of what it seems like you are doing, using DirectQuery. If you use import, you don't need to connect to a gateway in order to display the report.

You may need to use an enterprise gateway installation instead of personal mode gateway.

One last thing, when you say "publish to the web" are you referring to publishing it to the Service or using the Publis to Web feature?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@JordanPearson - The short way around this would be to use Import mode instead of what it seems like you are doing, using DirectQuery. If you use import, you don't need to connect to a gateway in order to display the report.

You may need to use an enterprise gateway installation instead of personal mode gateway.

One last thing, when you say "publish to the web" are you referring to publishing it to the Service or using the Publis to Web feature?

Latest book!:

Hi Greg,

Thank you so much for the reply.

I am using DirectQuery yes, however what I will do is connect to SQL Server via Import instead of DQ and see if I can publish is that way. 

In regards to gateways, I'm not overly concerned at this moment, I have a project booked in with work to install gateways on the server next month so I can deal with that then mainly, though seems the ones I installed personally a few months back are one of the causes of the issue. 

In terms of publish to web, so I mean I'm trying to publish is from desktop to the web service, add it to an App within app.powerbi.com and then allow users to use the report (hope that makes sense)

Big thanks, and I'll get back to you soon as I've tried it with Import queries only. 

@JordanPearson - Yep. Yeah, once you use import, the only reliance on the gateway is for automatic refresh from the Service, you don't need to touch the gateway when displaying the report.

Latest book!:

I've changed all the SQL data sources to Import, re-uploaded to web and IT WORKED! 

No further reliance on gateways, and although it can't be scheduled to refresh, that's another project altogether which I'll deal with separately. 

Thank you very much for your help, extremely appreciated 🙂 

@JordanPearson - Glad to hear you are good to go for Monday! 🙂

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors