Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

srduval
Helper II
Helper II

Publishing Pagianted Reports Unable To Access Report

I am one of two people publishing pagainted reports to premium workspaces, I can publish the reports and users can access with no issues, while the other person who is also an admin of the workspace who publishes a report, people can't access the reports unless I "take over" the datasource. There are one or two workspaces that they are able to publish reports to without issues but all workspaces are configured the same way, and all reports are pointing to the same azure SQL database.

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @srduval,

Any security setting on your data source side? If this is a case, it may be caused other users can't use their credentials to access resources except you 'take owner' of that data source to share your credentials.

In addition, what type of datasoruce are you worked? Azure SQL or Azure AS? if you mean Azure AS with live connection mode, you can also take a look at the following blog about UPN settings:

Manage your data source - Analysis Services 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Additionally this is what the datasources show when I look at them in power bi service, i just leave it blank don't change anything and users are able to access reports

Capture.PNG

@v-shex-msft 

I did some experimenting and found out that the reports are using a SQL authentication when I publish them, even though when building the datasource in paginated builder, i've choosen windows. Any idea how I can change that default authentication? I'm not using a gateway and i hadn't been changing the connection once published:

Data Source={intentionally_removed}.database.windows.net;Initial Catalog={intentionally_removed};Encrypt=True;TrustServerCertificate=False

for credentials I have the radio button selected for "Use Current Windows User. Kerbos Delegation May Be Needed"

Hi @srduval,

Unfortunately, you can't use windowed mode to verify your credential. AFAIK, azure SQL only supports 'base' and 'OAuth' mode. (obviously, you do not have permission to use power bi service to provide the windows credentials)

I'd like to suggest you use OAuth mode with azure ad account instead.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-shex-msft 

No both of us have the same DBO  permissions to the Azure SQL Database. 

we are configuring the reports to use windows authentication, kerbos delegation may be required. Does this mean when we are publishing reports, they are using the credentials of whoever published the report and not their own credentials? We are wanting people to be accessing the data as themselves, not an impersonated connection. Can you confirm how this is supposed to work?

thanks,

Sam

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors