Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Publisher cant access dataset on one computer but can on another

Hi

We have a workspace shared amongst several users.  I have Publisher instaleld on a win 10 machine and built a set of reports using the conenctor 6 months ago. Whenever I open it i just hit refresh and everythnig works fine.

One of my colleagues can no longer refresh this same report as gets an error and a continuous loop to log in.  I used a remote onto her pc and tried to make a new sheet wth a new connection using her login, the login of the admin user and my own loign. All failed with the same eroro "Can't access the dataset or the report".  I then went to another PC I have which didnt have Publsiher installed. I installed the latest version and logged in as myself and got the same error.

So the old pc that has been refshing this report for months works fine and doesnt even ask me to loggin. My new pc wont connect. so i must have permission to access the dataset (I have double checked we are all still members).

Any one giot any idea why i can't make a new connection with a lgin that is clearly working elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sure! The problem seems to be, that the official download does not work with certain versions of Office (in my case the latest 365).

This worked for me:
1. Download MSOLAP 7 from here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/8/2/482E5799-9B8E-4724-8A4C-F301BAE788EE/13.0.3523.4/1033/x...
2. Close all office applications
3. Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\140 and rename the adal.dll to adal_orig.dll (if you have excel 64 bit use the version from Program Files)
4. Copy adal.dll from here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\130 to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\140  (if you have excel 64 bit use the version from Program Files)
5. Open .odc file and see if it works for you.

From http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/analyze-in-excel/td-p/225311/page/3

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lndnbrg
Resolver III
Resolver III

Does it work if you click on „Analyze in Excel“ directly in the Power BI Service?

I have some trouble with that on a machine, because the MSOLAP OLEDB driver has some issues in the current version. I have to replace the adal.dll with an older version to make it work. Can post you a link, if this is your problem too.
masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

So whne I treid this it asked me to install some files which i did and then whne excle opened I got this message which is the same error my colleage got when trying to refresh the existing model

"The follwoing system error occurred: (The operation completed successfully)"...which obviously it didn't!!!! It then asked me to sign in again and get the same error. 

Can you send me a link to the older dll and where to install it please?

Thanks

Mike

Sure! The problem seems to be, that the official download does not work with certain versions of Office (in my case the latest 365).

This worked for me:
1. Download MSOLAP 7 from here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/8/2/482E5799-9B8E-4724-8A4C-F301BAE788EE/13.0.3523.4/1033/x...
2. Close all office applications
3. Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\140 and rename the adal.dll to adal_orig.dll (if you have excel 64 bit use the version from Program Files)
4. Copy adal.dll from here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\130 to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX86\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\140  (if you have excel 64 bit use the version from Program Files)
5. Open .odc file and see if it works for you.

From http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/analyze-in-excel/td-p/225311/page/3
masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Your the best all fixed.  Microsoft can be such donkeys sometimes!!!

Mike

What can I say, except... https://youtu.be/79DijItQXMM 😉

Glad that you could fix it right away! I really don’t get why they put out downloads that cause these kinds of problems...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors