Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Published excel file - Ability to download the file once published

Hi

I have an excel file with pbi dataset that I have published to Power BI. I would like users to either use this in Power BI or download a copy as an option.

Is there an equivilent to "File>download the pbix" that is offered with excel files? 

I published the excel file using the Upload method.

FredL_1-1623131689567.png

Once published I only see an Edit option which is greyed out..

FredL_0-1623131593596.png

Any assistance much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

I find a link helpful, please refer to : 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Download-to-Excel-from-PowerBI-Workspace/td-p/212650

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution✔️ to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Arvi, I just needed a link to the excel report so that it would be in the same location accessible to users. All of the reports are in a PBI App and wanted the excel file to be consistant to the location of the other reports. The difference being users would download the excel file in most cases rather than use online.

arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

If you upload an Excel Workbook from your PC you cannot download it and edit it from what I can see.

What you could do, is to have the Excel file stored in OneDrive for Business, OneDrive personal or SharePoint Folder and then connect to the data in the Power BI Service.

That will then give you the ability to grant permissions to other users, where they can then access the source Excel file, and update as required.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution and give it a thumbs up

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors