Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bsheffer
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Published a mixed storage report to workspace. It is broken there

My report uses a published dataset (connected live is usually displayed on the bottom right)

when I added an additional local file it changed the connection to the published dataset to direct query

now I have two datasources:  Direct query to the main dataset and import to the local file

The storage mode is listed as Mixed.

It works fine in the desktop where I created the report.

However once I publish it, it does not work and gives this error:

bsheffer_0-1627659779129.png

I've never had this issue before.  It doesn't mention the local datafile I imported.

when I go to the datasource with the same name as this report, It won't let me connect to the On-premises or VNet data gateway that I usually connect a datasource to.  It does give me the option to load a personal gateway but I don't want to require every user to have a personal gateway to view the report.

The local file is very static so I could turn off the refresh for it but that hasn't eliminated the issue when I did.

The published datasource I usually connect to is in another workspace.

what do I need to fix this so this report will run on the service?

2 REPLIES 2
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bsheffer 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your problem .

What is the data source of the report you published before ? As you said you never had this issue before , then can we be sure that your previous data source is using the import mode ? Then you connect to the dataset in Desktop and add a local data source to create a new report .After publishing to the Service ,the issue appear .

Now, let’s sort out the problem .

(1)You use the dataset as a data source in Desktop , the type for the data source is Analysis Services ,because the dataset is stored in cloud and the connection mode is Direct Query .

(2)You add a local file in Desktop ,then you have two data sources for the report .

(3)After you publish the report to the Service ,due to the data with Direct Query mode from cloud , you need to configure a standard gateway for the data source .

As you said , you don’t want every user to have a personal gateway to view the report, my suggestion is to install a standard gateway . For specific content, please refer to the difference between standard gateway and personal gateway .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-personal-mode

Here I will introduce a way to configure the gateway .You can choose the first parameter in your gateway configuration pane and then add a data source for your local file . For detailed introduction, please refer to the link .

Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Ailsamsft_0-1627903278977.png

Add a data source for local file in gateway.

Ailsamsft_1-1627903278979.png

Then go to Settings =>Gateway connection ,choose the mixed dataset and map to the data source .You can see below ,local file data source is map to gateway and the credentials for original dataset are not required ,because admin has granted access .

Ailsamsft_2-1627903278983.png

The final result is as shown :

Ailsamsft_3-1627903278988.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I haven't had time to work through your suggestions.  Thanks for that.  

Usually I see the published dataset in the bottom right corner of my report like so:

bsheffer_0-1627936166044.png

If I click on transform data and data source settings it gives me a list of published data sets to choose from.  Normally there is no need as everything is in the published data set I've already chosen

bsheffer_1-1627936362295.png

after I used get data to import an excel file I now see

bsheffer_2-1627936427193.png

which works just fine in the PBI desktop

After I publish and try to use the dashboard, I get the gateway error message.  If I go to the actual published general - data app dataset it has a connection to our gateway and all the dashboards who solely are attached to it are working fine.

Hope this clears up any misunderstandings.  I'll get into your answer now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors