Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tropez
Frequent Visitor

Published Report not updating data.

Okay gang, I need some help here.

Short Story:

I have a published report that isn't getting its data refreshed unless I manually publish the report again from my desktop app.

Long Story:

I created a bunch of dataflows that contain various data sources I needed to use in my report.

image.png

Pointing to an online Excel File using a URL.

DATAFLOW-ARCHITECTS 

DATAFLOW-CATEGORIES

DATALFLOW-COMMENTS

Pointing a folder which contains CSV files which are updated using a Gateway.

DATAFLOW-MSL

DATAFLOW-SCOM 

DATAFLOW-VCENTER

I created a report with the Power BI desktop app that only utilized these sources.

image.png

I then published the report so others can access it.

image.png

Users are asked to access this tool, and review data. If they see a hostname they need to add a comment on, such as "reduce ram on this system" they need to get that data into the system. 

So we created a form for this, they open the Form and fill out the fields, when they hit submit the online Excel document that is tied to the DATAFLOW-COMMENTS dataflow gets a new line added to it.

image.png

The problem is, these comments never show up in the published Power BI report I have created.

Attempts to resolve:

Refresh the dataflows manually:

Manually refreshing one or all of the dataflows didn't matter. The published report still showed old data. If I go into the DATAFLOW-COMMENTS dataflow, I do see updates listed there that aren't showing on the published report (even if I refresh/reset it, or reopen it).

Refresh the dataset (not the dataflow):

Another post mentioned that they had to set up a refresh on the dataset used by the report. Even though I'm only using dataflows, I did notice that a dataset was published when I published the report itself. I attemped to manually trigger a refresh, which worked, but the data didn't show up in the published report.

Give it some time:

I tried just waiting out out, maybe it took time for the published report to get the data. This didn't work, even 10 hours later the data wasn't there.

Publish the report again:

This works. If I open the Power BI desktop app, and publish it again, updating the online version, then users can see the data. The problem is this manual step is not reliable, I need the system to automate this for us.

So that's my issue. Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @tropez 

You still need to schedule dataset refresh if you are using dataflows, and you can not use dataflows without dataset.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors