Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Published Composite Model Access Issue

Hi all,

I've built an executive dashboard which brings in metrics from 6 existing Power Bi datasets and displays them on a single page (using Composite Models feature released in December 2020).

The report works great in desktop and is fine when published.

However we have found that when a colleague takes ownership of the dataset to make a change, the report stops working for everyone. We have tried updating the credentials in the data sources (using oauth2 and setting them to organisational), however nothing seems to work aside from taking back ownership.

We are both admins in each of the workspaces where the datasets reside, and are somewhat out of ideas. The error we get is simply:

Single sign-on (SSO) credential is not provided which is required to execute the current request.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

We were able to resolve this on a support call with Microsoft.

The fix basically involved:

1 - Republishing the dataset/dashboard under a new name.

2 - Once my colleague took over, he then needed to go into the "Data Source Credentials" and set the authentication to oauth2 and organisational for each of the 6 connections. Once this was done the report worked without issue for everyone who had access to it.

We had definitely tried step 2 previously, so can only assume there was an issue with the original dataset.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

We were able to resolve this on a support call with Microsoft.

The fix basically involved:

1 - Republishing the dataset/dashboard under a new name.

2 - Once my colleague took over, he then needed to go into the "Data Source Credentials" and set the authentication to oauth2 and organisational for each of the 6 connections. Once this was done the report worked without issue for everyone who had access to it.

We had definitely tried step 2 previously, so can only assume there was an issue with the original dataset.

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved?
If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it.
Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your problem.

Best Regards,
Stephen Tao

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Are the six datasets in the same workspace or in different workspaces? If some of the six datasets are in other workspaces, and your colleague does not have the permission to manage the workspace, the visual created by your colleague connecting to the six-in-one dataset will be wrong.

Screenshot 2021-03-09 163845.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-stephen-msft 

Just to be clear we aren't talking about refreshing the data source but when you try to run the report.

As things stand at the moment, the report will only run when I have ownership of it. As soon as one of my colleagues take over, the report stops working for everyone (we have tried with 2 other collegues now). It usually wouldn't be a massive issue, however I am due to leave the organisation later in the year which could create issues if any changes are required.

Are there any other credentials which need to be updated when a new user takes ownership of a dataset? 

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Data refresh can also fail due to expired cached credentials. Clear your internet browser cache by going signing into Power BI and going to https://app.powerbi.com?alwaysPromptForContentProviderCreds=true. This forces an update of your credentials.

Threre's an article about refreshing troubleshooting:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-troubleshooting-refresh-scenarios

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors