Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BIfanatic
Resolver I
Resolver I

Publish without instant data refresh

Hi everyone,

When publishing reports the service automatically starts refreshing the data. However, we just want to publish and do the data refresh at a later time. Our reports consist of SAP BW data and are being refreshed through an on-premise gateway.

We normally publish during office hours, but would like to do the refresh outside those hours so that our SAP users do not experience capacity issues. 

What are our options here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a problem i face as well, my solution is to turn off the schedule refresh, publish, turn the schedule back on.

Keep in mind if you do this, you will have whatever data is within the published file.  So as long as your publish has the current data, you are fine.  My usual practice has been to 'Download PBIX', make the change, turn of schedule refresh, publish, schedule back on.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@BIfanatic,

After you publish the report to Power BI Service, go to Settings->Datasets and find your dataset, you can configure your dataset to refresh at specific time by setting the schedule .
1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

Thank you.

I am aware of the scheduled refresh option. However, when we publish a report, it instantly starts refreshing the data in the service. We do not want that. We want to split the moment of publishing and the moment of data refreshing.

Is that possible?

@BIfanatic,

Dataset will not be automatically refreshed after you publish the report to Power BI Service unless you click "Refresh Now" or set schedule refresh. 

Have you checked the message in Refresh History?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

It seems that - when you have scheduled refresh turned on- after publishing the report starts refreshing immediately, even though the refresh might be scheduled for an other day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a problem i face as well, my solution is to turn off the schedule refresh, publish, turn the schedule back on.

Keep in mind if you do this, you will have whatever data is within the published file.  So as long as your publish has the current data, you are fine.  My usual practice has been to 'Download PBIX', make the change, turn of schedule refresh, publish, schedule back on.

@Anonymous

This seems to be the best way. Thanks for confirming!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors