Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Chema_Ortega
Helper III
Helper III

Publish to the web

Hello Team,

I am trying to get a code to publish a report in the web, but when I do it, a eindow message comes out to tell me: "To publish this repost on the web, ask your Power BI admin if they will allow you to create new publish to web embed codes. Once they turn that on, you eill be able to publish this report to the web."

I am the Admin, but I do not know where to configure such a permission. Where should I go?

Thanks a lot. Best regards,

Chema Ortega

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Chema_Ortega,

The Power BI Administrator can indeed enable this feature in the Admin Portal. Please be aware of the security issues concerned with Publish to Web! 

If you are the Power BI Administrator of your company (not the Admin of the workspace) you can go to

• The Admin Portal
  • Then find the Export and sharing settings and enable Publish to web

image.png

In case you are not the Administrator of your tenant, to find the Power BI Administrator(s) you can go to:

Check which user(s) is/are assigned to that role and contact (one of) them.

Did this help you or did I answer your question?
Then please give kudos or mark my post as a solution!
My blog: nickyvv.com
Twitter: @NickyvV

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HannesBrits

Hi

Read the following if you are an Admin to see what settings you need to change.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/heads-up-the-publish-to-web-default-is-changing-and-it-affe...

Hi Hannes,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Best regards,

Chema Ortega

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Chema_Ortega,

The Power BI Administrator can indeed enable this feature in the Admin Portal. Please be aware of the security issues concerned with Publish to Web! 

If you are the Power BI Administrator of your company (not the Admin of the workspace) you can go to

• The Admin Portal
  • Then find the Export and sharing settings and enable Publish to web

image.png

In case you are not the Administrator of your tenant, to find the Power BI Administrator(s) you can go to:

Check which user(s) is/are assigned to that role and contact (one of) them.

Did this help you or did I answer your question?
Then please give kudos or mark my post as a solution!
My blog: nickyvv.com
Twitter: @NickyvV

Hi @nickyvv 

I have a Power BI account for personal use, with a Pro license.  When I try to publish to web, I get that same error message

Contact your admin to enable embed code creation
To publish this report on the web, ask your Power BI admin if they will allow you to create new publish to web embed codes. Once they turn that on, you will be able to publish this report to the web.

If I go to the Administrator Portal, I see far fewer options than what you show:
image.png 
and thus no "Tenant settings" option either. When i try to find the Power BI Administrator(s) (although I guess I should be it, since I'm the only user and who set up the account), I see the role is not assigned to anyone:
image.png 
I do not see any option to assign the role. The "Add assignments" option at the top is greyed out. Any idea what I'd need to set myself up as PBI administrator. Are other licenses necessary for that?
Or any other workaround to be able to publish to web.
Many thanks

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @AlB,

In what tenant did you sign up with your personal Pro license?

If you look at About Power BI, what does it have after ?ctid= ?

nickyvv_0-1611220339038.png

Is that the same tenant when you look in Azure Active Directory (you can see that in Tenant information block in the overview page)?

@nickyvv 

Thanks for your reply.

1. Yes, it is the same tenant in both Power BI and Azure

2. To your question

In what tenant did you sign up with your personal Pro license?

I do not remember signing up to any tenant (?)

Many thanks

@nickyvv 

Any idea on what is going on?

Thanks

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@AlB not really, sorry.

I suggest you open a (free) support ticket with Power BI. You can go to the support page to file a support ticket.

@nickyvv 

Will do. Thank you

Do you think it could have to do with the Pro license still being in the trial period??

We have the Admin Portal/Tenant Settings/Publish to Web/Select new and existing codes Entire organization set up properly, however the user responsible for publishing to the Proof of concept site is still getting the error message.  Have you ever ran into a situation where everything was set up correctly in the tenant, however still not have the abillity for the user to publish to web?

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

What do you see in the Embed Codes in the Admin Portal? Does an entry show up there?

Thanks a lot, Nicky! It worked great!!!

Best regards,

Chema Ortega

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors